Skip to main content

CTE Content Areas

Work-Based Learning

CR 100.5 (d)(6)(iv)(a)(2)(iv)…identification of work-based learning experiences for students;


  1. Work-based learning—Learning activities that take place in the workplace or in the school in collaboration with the community to provide a service or produce a product that meets industry standards.
  2. Experiences—Work-based learning is a term that applies to a broad array of learning experiences from career awareness and exploration to career development and application. They can be registered or unregistered.


Types of Work-Based Learning Experiences

Registered Work Based Learning

Registered experiences typically take place outside of the school building, and students may earn academic credit in accordance with guidance from the work-based learning manual. There are four types of registered programs in New York: 

  • Career exploration internship program (CEIP)
  • Cooperative career and technical education work experience program (Co-op)
  • General education work experience program (GEWEP)
  • Work experience and career exploration program (WECEP) 

Registered experiences must be supervised by an appropriately certified work-based learning coordinator (see section on supervision below).

Unregistered Work-Based Learning

Unregistered experiences may take place inside or outside of the school building. Students may not earn academic credit for these experiences. Examples of unregistered experiences may be found in the detailed section below. Unregistered experiences may be supervised by any school staff.

For additional details, considerations, and information regarding registered programs, please refer to the work-based learning manual.



Registered Experiences

Co-op and CEIP programs must be supervised by a CTE teacher who holds an additional extension as a Coordinator of Work-Based Learning Programs for Career Development. GEWEP and WECEP programs must be supervised by a teacher or school counselor who holds certification as either a Coordinator of Work-Based Learning Programs for Career Awareness or Coordinator of Work-Based Learning Programs for Career Development. CEIP, Co-op, GEWEP, and WECEP must be registered with the Office of Career and Technical Education independently from the program approval process. CEIP, Co-op, and GEWEP are registered for five-year periods. WECEP, as a federal program, is registered for two-year period.

Unregistered Experiences

It is highly recommended that unregistered experiences be supervised by a certified work-based learning coordinator holding either the Career Awareness or Career Development extension. However, these experiences may be supervised by any school staff.

Supervised Clinical Experiences for Health Sciences

Supervised clinical experiences must be overseen by a New York State certified health sciences teacher in the specific health sciences content area in which students are completing a program. Students must be directly supervised by clinical instructors or the health sciences teacher of the program when in the field. Clinical instructors must hold appropriate New York State licensure in the health sciences career in which students are completing the clinical experience.

A chart depicting the types and parameters of work-based learning.


Work-Based Learning Policies

Labor Law Considerations for Work-Based Learning Experiences

Minors aged 16 and 17 must have working papers before beginning any registered work-based learning experience regardless of whether it is paid or unpaid. The coordinator should make a copy for their records prior 

New York State Department of Labor's permitted working hours for minors must be adhered to. Minors may not be placed into occupations deemed hazardous by the New York State Department of Labor or United States Department of Labor. The only exceptions are: 

  • Cooperative education programs—Allow for students in CTE programs to be placed at a work site that is aligned with the area in which they are studying. For example, a 17-year-old student enrolled in a construction technology program could complete a work experience at a construction site as long as there is a registered co-op program in place and the student is supervised by a certified CTE teacher with the extension of Coordinator of Work-Based Learning Programs for Career Development.
  • Apprenticeship programs—Minors age 16 and over can, with parent permission, enter into registered apprenticeship programs that are registered with the New York State Department of Labor. Please note that while many companies/organizations may use the term “apprentice” to refer to junior employees, it is not considered an “apprenticeship” for purposes of labor law unless it is a registered apprenticeship with the Department of Labor. Academic credit cannot be earned for apprenticeship experiences.


Apprenticeship is the process of learning a skilled trade through on-the-job training (hands-on experience) and related classroom instruction. To become a New York State registered apprentice, a student must be hired by a New York State registered apprenticeship sponsor and become registered as a New York State apprentice (see Labor Law Considerations above). As a New York State registered apprentice, the participant is a paid employee of the sponsor.

Supervised Clinical Experiences (Health Sciences Requirement)

Supervised clinical experiences are a required component of all health sciences programs. Within each licensing content area, there are restrictions and mandates governing clinical experiences. Supervised clinical experiences involve students performing health care services in a work setting after having instruction and practice in a supervised skills laboratory. The services must be performed under the supervision of an instructor who holds the appropriate and valid New York State license/certification in the health care discipline for which the students are being prepared.

The provision of supervised clinical experiences is contingent upon securing operational approval. All programs require operational approval (emergency medical services, home health aide, and nurse aide training program) before enrolling students. For supervised clinical experiences in health sciences to take place, an affiliation agreement (a written contract with each partnering healthcare facility) must be established prior to enrolling students in these experiences.

Appearance Enhancement and Barbering Programs

Per the New York State appearance enhancement and barbering laws, no student shall work on any clients at any point in time during a work-based learning experience. A work-based learning experience outside of the classroom would be an observation only experience. The only situation where students are permitted to work on "live" clients is when they are under the direct supervision of their licensed appearance enhancement and or barbering instructor. 

Use of Work-Based Learning Experiences to Meet Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS) Option 1 Requirements

Registered or unregistered work-based learning experiences may also be used towards the work-based learning requirement for Option 1 of the CDOS credential or 4+1 CDOS pathway to graduation. It is advisable for all NYSED-approved CTE programs to prepare students to meet Option 1 by offering at least 54 hours of work-based learning in the event that a student is unable to meet the requirements for a technical endorsement. For more information about CDOS, please visit the New York State Education Department's CDOS page


Work-Based Learning Manual

For more information and details regarding work-based learning experiences, please consult the work-based learning manual



View the work-based learning page in PDF format.