Multiple pathways recognize the importance of engaging students in rigorous and relevant academic programs. The pathway options recognize students’ interests in the Arts, Career and Technical Education (CTE), Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS), Civics, Humanities, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), and World Languages by allowing an approved pathway to satisfy students’ graduation requirements.
Under the “4+1” pathway assessment option, students must take and pass four required Regents Exams or Department-Approved Alternative assessments (one in each of the following subjects: English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies) and complete a comparably rigorous pathway to meet the fifth assessment requirement for graduation.
|Pathway||Students must successfully complete:|
|World Languages Pathway||
AT A GLANCE
The Multiple Pathways at a Glance document explains the pathway options and lists valuable resources.
List of Approved Pathway Assessments
- Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS)
- World Languages
- The Arts
- Department-Approved Alternatives
- NYSED-Approved Career and Technical Education (CTE) Programs
Application Process for Consideration of New Pathway Assessments
- New York State General Education & Diploma Requirements
- Press Release: Five World Languages Assessments Approved for 4+1 Pathway to Graduation-Memo (April 2018)
- Presentation to the Board of Regents: Expanding Graduation Pathways for All Students (January 2016)
- Field Memo: Multiple Pathways to Graduation 4+1 Option (April 2015)
- Board of Regents Item: Proposed Amendments to Sections 100.2 and 100.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Pathways to Graduation (January 2015)
If you have additional questions or need further clarification, please contact the Office of Standards and Instruction at firstname.lastname@example.org or (518) 474-5922.