Multiple pathways recognize the importance of engaging students in rigorous and relevant academic programs. The regulations approved in 2015 and 2016 recognize students’ interests in the Arts, Languages other than English (LOTE), Career and Technical Education (CTE), Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS), Humanities, and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) by allowing an approved pathway to meet the students’ graduation requirements.
Under the “4+1” pathway assessment option, students must take and pass four required Regents Exams or Department-Approved Alternative assessments (one in each of the following subjects: English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies) and complete a comparably rigorous pathway to meet the fifth assessment requirement for graduation.
|Pathway||Students eligible for this pathway must successfully complete:|
|Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS) Pathway||
AT A GLANCE
The Multiple Pathways at a Glance document explains the pathway options and lists valuable resources.
List of Approved Pathway Assessments
- Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS)
- Languages other than English (LOTE)
- The Arts
- Department-Approved Alternatives
- Department-Approved Career and Technical Education (CTE) Programs
Application Process for Consideration of New Pathway Assessments
- New York State General Education & Diploma Requirements
- Press Release: Five World Languages Assessments Approved for 4+1 Pathway to Graduation-Memo (April 2018)
- Presentation to the Board of Regents: Expanding Graduation Pathways for All Students (January 2016)
- Field Memo: Multiple Pathways to Graduation 4+1 Option (April 2015)
- Board of Regents Item: Proposed Amendments to Sections 100.2 and 100.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Pathways to Graduation (January 2015)
- Multiple Pathways Press Conference (October 2014)
If you have additional questions or need further clarification, please contact the Office of Curriculum and Instruction at firstname.lastname@example.org or 518.474.5922.