Students enrolled in a NYSED-approved CTE program at a school district or BOCES* who successfully complete all requirements earn a technical endorsement [CR 100.5(d)(6)(ii)(b)]. The technical endorsement is imprinted on a seal to be affixed to the diploma and includes the phrase Career and Technical Endorsement. Additional information on the specific design of the endorsement seal is provided to school districts and BOCES upon notification of CTE program approval.
Requirements for students to obtain the technical endorsement include:
- completion of a minimum of 22 units of credit** [CR 100.5(a)(3) and 100.5(d)(6)(ii)(a)(2)];
- passing grades on five required Regents examination(s) or approved alternatives [CR 100.2(f)];
- completion of a minimum of 3.5 CTE credits;
- completion of a 3-part technical assessment (written, demonstration, project components) [CR 100.5(d)(6)(i)(b)];
- completion of work-based learning experiences as provided by the approved program [CR 100.5 (d)(6)(iv)(a)(2)(iv)]; and
- completion of a work-skills employability profile [CR 100.5 (d)(6)(iv)(a)(2)(v)].
*Local school districts are notified by a BOCES of students who have completed all approved program requirements and who have earned the technical endorsement.
**Students in a NYSED-approved CTE program entering grade 10, 11, or 12 in Fall 2001 must complete the units of credits and distribution as specified for their graduating classes [CR 100.5(a)(1) and (2)].