Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
Arthur O. Eve
Member of the New York State Assembly (1967–2003) and Deputy Speaker of the Assembly (1979–2003) representing districts in Buffalo, New York
- To help provide a broad range of services to New York State residents who, because of academic and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend a postsecondary educational institution.
- HEOP provides funds to assist in the screening and testing of prospective students.
- Higher Education Opportunity Programs also provide structured support services including a prefreshman summer program, counseling, tutoring, and remedial/developmental coursework.
- In addition to academic support, program participants receive financial assistance toward their college expenses.
HEOP Addresses Students Total Needs
- Introduces students to college expectations via a Prefreshman Summer Program
- Offers academic, career, financial, and career counseling
- Provides one-on-one and small-group tutoring
- Offers remedial, developmental, and supportive courses
Additional Programs (SUNY & CUNY)
- HEOP serves New York State residents who are both academically and economically disadvantaged. Disadvantaged students are individuals from low-income families with potential for successful collegiate experiences but who have not acquired the verbal, mathematical, and other cognitive skills required to complete their college work.
- Competitive grants are awarded to Independent institutions of higher education incorporated by the New York State legislature or chartered by the Board of Regents and offering two- or four-year degree programs registered with and approved by the Board of Regents.
- Programs must serve matriculated students who are working toward a degree.
- Students shall be selected without regard to age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, race, gender, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or sexual orientation.
NEW (Fall/Winter 2018)
Interim Report Guidance
- Certification Statement: HEOP Student Eligibility and Support
- HEOP 2014 Interim Report Q &A
- HEOP 2014 Interim Report
Student Transfer Form
2019-2024 HEOP RFP Materials