Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
Arthur O. Eve
Member of the New York State Assembly (1967–2003) and Deputy Speaker of the Assembly (1979–2003) representing districts in Buffalo, New York
- HEOP serves New York State residents who are both educationally and economically disadvantaged as per New York State Education Law § 6451 and § CRR-NY 27-1.1.
- Economically disadvantaged students are members of a household where the total annual income of such household is equal to or less than 185 percent of the amount under the annual United States Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines.
- Each participating HEOP institution establishes its own criteria for educationally disadvantaged, which includes, but is not limited to, the following factors: predicting a student's probability of academic success, non-admissibility to the college's normal admissions standards, and/or to the college at the matriculated status in a degree program.
- NYS Opportunity Programs Income Eligibility Guidelines for Academic Year 2020-21*
- Competitive grants are awarded to independent non-public institutions of higher education incorporated by the New York State legislature or chartered by the Board of Regents and offering two- or four-year degree programs registered with and approved by the Board of Regents.
- Programs must serve matriculated students who are working toward a degree.
- Students shall be selected without regard to age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, race, gender, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or sexual orientation.
2019-2024 HEOP RFP Materials
- HEOP Grant RFP 2019-2024 PDF – Revised 4/5/19
- HEOP Grant RFP 2019-2024 DOC – Revised 4/5/19
- HEOP Grant Master Contract Template
- 2019-2024 HEOP Composite Budget
Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of The State of New York
HEOP Fiscal Guidelines
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) provides a broad range of services to New York State residents who, because of educational and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend a postsecondary educational institution. Each HEOP institution must ensure that HEOP students are provided with sufficient academic support services, tuition assistance, supplemental financial assistance, and full need packaging to enable them to successfully complete the institutional components required for graduation.
- Provide access to postsecondary education to eligible students
- Identify, evaluate, and recruit eligible students and enable them to complete a higher education experience
- Improve the retention and graduation rates of disadvantaged students
- Provides funds to assist in the screening and testing of prospective students
- Provides structured academic support services including a pre-entry summer program, counseling, tutoring, and remedial/developmental coursework
- Provides supplemental financial and tuition assistance toward their college expenses
HEOP addresses students needs by
- Introducing students to college expectations via a pre-entry summer program.
- Offering academic, career, financial, and career counseling.
- Providing one-on-one and small-group tutoring.
- Offering remedial, developmental, and support services .
Mount Saint Mary College • Class of 2017
Cazenovia College • Class of 2019
Major: Interior Design
Hometown: LeRoy, NY
Clubs, Organizations, Leadership Roles and Awards Received: Interior Design Club
HEOP means hope for me to meet my success as a young learner. It has helped me with being eligible to attend my first-choice college, and it feels like a family. Thanks to HEOP, I feel like I am home.
Hamilton College • Class of 2016
Major: Theatre and Geoscience
Hometown: Jackson Heights, NY
Clubs, Organizations, Leadership Roles and Awards Received: Tropical Sol Dance group, Hogwarts at Hamilton President, RA, Event Staff Manager, Untitled at Large President, Edwin Barrett Theatre Prize, Karen Williams Theatre Prize
I would not have come to Hamilton if it weren’t for HEOP. I knew that I would have a support network and people who would have my back no matter what. I’ve been blessed to have people who care for me and push me to do my best, and I wouldn’t feel that if not for HEOP.
D’Youville College • Class of 2016
Hamilton College • Class of 2018
St. Bonaventure University • Class of 2016
Syracuse University • Class of 2016
Syracuse University • Class of 2016