Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
Arthur O. Eve
Member of the New York State Assembly (1967–2003) and Deputy Speaker of the Assembly (1979–2003) representing districts in Buffalo, New York
- To help provide a broad range of services to New York State residents who, because of academic and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend a postsecondary educational institution.
- HEOP provides funds to assist in the screening and testing of prospective students.
- Higher Education Opportunity Programs also provide structured support services including a prefreshman summer program, counseling, tutoring, and remedial/developmental coursework.
- In addition to academic support, program participants receive financial assistance toward their college expenses.
HEOP Addresses Students Total Needs
- Introduces students to college expectations via a Prefreshman Summer Program
- Offers academic, career, financial, and career counseling
- Provides one-on-one and small-group tutoring
- Offers remedial, developmental, and supportive courses
Additional Programs (SUNY & CUNY)
- HEOP serves New York State residents who are both academically and economically disadvantaged. Disadvantaged students are individuals from low-income families with potential for successful collegiate experiences but who have not acquired the verbal, mathematical, and other cognitive skills required to complete their college work.
- Competitive grants are awarded to Independent institutions of higher education incorporated by the New York State legislature or chartered by the Board of Regents and offering two- or four-year degree programs registered with and approved by the Board of Regents.
- Programs must serve matriculated students who are working toward a degree.
- Students shall be selected without regard to age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, race, gender, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or sexual orientation.
Interim Report Guidance
- Certification Statement: HEOP Student Eligibility and Support
- HEOP 2014 Interim Report Q &A
- HEOP 2014 Interim Report
Student Transfer Form
2019-2024 HEOP RFP Materials