Albert Shanker Grant Program
Candidates, please check this site for updates on the 2019 -2020 grant period in Summer 2019.
DISTRICT REIMBURSEMENT OPENS
April 15, 2019 – June 30, 2019
PLEASE SEE INFORMATION BELOW
The Albert Shanker grant was established to defray the costs of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)* certification to eligible New York State public school teachers. The New York State Education Department through the Albert Shanker Grant makes funding available to support eligible New York State public school teachers seeking their first National Board Certification.
- Step one: National Board Certification is composed of four components. All components must be attempted within a three year period. For information regarding National Board Certification .
- Step two: Candidates for the Albert Shanker Grant must first complete the 2018-2019 National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Candidate application online Candidates must also pay the annual NBPTS registration fee and register and pay for the first component.
- Step 3: Once the NBPTS application has been completed, candidates must apply online using the Albert Shanker Grant Application .
If a candidate is found eligible for and awarded the Albert Shanker Grant, the New York State Education Department will fund the cost of the remaining three components to National Board.
To be eligible for the Albert Shanker Grant, candidates MUST:
- be employed as a full-time teacher in a NYS public school;
- hold a valid New York State teaching certificate;
- hold tenure in his/her current position;
- commit to and actually complete the entirety of the initial NBPTS candidacy effort;
- continue to be employed as a full-time teacher in a New York public school for at least one full school year following completion of the initial grant period;
- apply for NBPTS certification and pay for the first component selected; and
- apply for the Albert Shanker Grant.
The candidate reimbursement period is OPEN ONLY for candidates who completed the National Board certification process in 2018.
After a candidate completes the National Board process, the candidate will be reimbursed for the cost of their first component provided that the candidate did not receive any form of reimbursement for their first component from any source.
- Candidates will be eligible for reimbursement for their first component after NYSED receives official notification from National Board at the end of the certification cycle that a candidate has achieved or completed the NB certification process. Anticipated notification from National Board will occur at the end of the year. Candidates will be eligible to submit for reimbursement after this date. Check the webpage for updated information.
- Once the submission period for reimbursement is open, the candidate must submit a written request for reimbursement to firstname.lastname@example.org . The candidate will receive a voucher to be completed and returned. A check will then be issued from NYSED.
District Reimbursement for support services April 15, 2019 – June 30, 2019:
- Each eligible teacher’s sponsoring school district shall be eligible to receive a direct reimbursement from NYSED for candidates who completed the National Board process in the 2017-2018 cycle ONLY.
- The reimbursement in an amount up to $500 to cover the cost of supportive services, which may include costs such as hiring a substitute teacher for up to three days or the duration of such eligible teacher’s approval leave, whichever is less.
To qualify for such a reimbursement, a sponsoring school district must complete the following process.
- Complete and submit the online District Reimbursement form https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/albert-shanker-grant-reimbursement-form
- Download and complete the Attestation form.
- Mail the Attestation form with an original signature of the Superintendent or Chief School Officer to receive reimbursement.
- Please follow the instructions on the form.
All questions should be directed to:
Albert Shanker Grant Program Administrator
Additional candidate support:
National Board Council of New York: nbcny.org
National Board Customer Support 1-800-22TEACH (1-800-228-3224)