Albert Shanker Grant Program
“The 2019-2020 application period is suspended due to delays in the contract process. Please check the webpage for updates as to when it will reopen. Thank you for your patience”.
The Albert Shanker grant was established to defray the costs of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)* certification to eligible New York State public school teachers. The New York State Education Department through the Albert Shanker Grant makes funding available to support eligible New York State public school teachers seeking their first National Board Certification.
- Step one: National Board Certification is composed of four components. All components must be attempted within a three year period. For information regarding National Board Certification .
- Step two: Candidates for the Albert Shanker Grant must first complete the 2018-2019 National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Candidate application online Candidates must also pay the annual NBPTS registration fee and register and pay for the first component.
- Step 3: Once the NBPTS application has been completed, candidates must apply online using the Please NOTE: “The 2019-2020 application period is suspended due to delays in the contract process. Please check the webpage for updates as to when it will reopen. Thank you for your patience”.
If a candidate is found eligible for and awarded the Albert Shanker Grant, the New York State Education Department will fund the cost of the remaining three components to National Board.
To be eligible for the Albert Shanker Grant, candidates MUST:
- be employed as a full-time teacher in a NYS public school;
- hold a valid New York State teaching certificate;
- hold tenure in his/her current position;
- commit to and actually complete the entirety of the initial NBPTS candidacy effort;
- continue to be employed as a full-time teacher in a New York public school for at least one full school year following completion of the initial grant period;
- apply for NBPTS certification and pay for the first component selected; and
- apply for the Albert Shanker Grant.
Before you apply for the Albert Shanker grant please read this entire message.
Starting on July 1, 2019, the New York State Education Department will accept applications for the 2019-2020 Albert Shanker Grant program. Applications will continue to be accepted through February 28, 2020 or until all funds are exhausted, whichever is first.
- Candidates may apply for the Albert Shanker Grant by submitting the Albert Shanker Grant Application.
- After submitting an application online, candidates must send verification that they have registered and paid for the first component with NBPTS in order to complete the process. Verification must include a copy of the Registration Receipt with NBPTS and a copy of the Payment Receipt for the First component.
For further information, please refer to the Candidate Frequently Asked Questions
- Email: ShankerGrant@nysed.gov
NYS Education Department
Office of Post Secondary Access, Support and Success, Room 960 EBA
Attn: Albert Shanker Grant Program
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
- FAX #: (518) 474-7468, Attn: Albert Shanker Grant Program
- Funding is limited, and allocated on a first come, first served basis, to eligible candidates.
- If a candidate is found eligible for an award, they will be notified.
- If a candidate is awarded an Albert Shanker Grant and withdraws from NBPTS process, he/she will not be eligible for a subsequent grant.
The candidate reimbursement period is OPEN ONLY for candidates who completed the National Board certification process in 2018.
After a candidate completes the National Board process, the candidate will be reimbursed for the cost of their first component provided that the candidate did not receive any form of reimbursement for their first component from any source.
- Candidates will be eligible for reimbursement for their first component after NYSED receives official notification from National Board at the end of the certification cycle that a candidate has achieved or completed the NB certification process. Anticipated notification from National Board will occur at the end of the year. Candidates will be eligible to submit for reimbursement after this date. Check the webpage for updated information.
- Once the submission period for reimbursement is open, the candidate must submit a written request for reimbursement to email@example.com . The candidate will receive a voucher to be completed and returned. A check will then be issued from NYSED.
We are no longer accepting District Reimbursement for support services for candidates. Please refer back in the Spring of 2020.
- Do teachers need to currently hold tenure to apply for the Shanker grant?
- Can CTLE hours be met or awarded through the National Board process?
- What is the district reimbursement?
- How do I know if my district is eligible?
- What documentation do I need to submit to NYSED?
- Who can sign the Attestation for reimbursement?
- How do I submit these documents?
Yes. Teachers must already hold tenure in their current position. Teachers cannot be waiting to receive at the time of the Shanker application, even if they have been previously tenured in another NYS district.
Please print the Tenure Attestation form, complete, sign (Superintendent or designee) and submit
Signing this Attestation form is an opportunity for the district to be informed of the teachers engaged in the process and the timeline for the $500 district reimbursement for support services provided
Yes. According to the NYSED web site: A holder of a certificate in the classroom teaching service who achieves certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards shall be deemed to have met the CTLE requirement for the registration period in which such National Board Certification is achieved; provided that the CTLE certificate holder continues to meet the applicable required CTLE requirements in language acquisition as described above.
In addition: Teachers can opt to earn, through Empire State College, 3 graduate credits per National Board component. As per the NYSED web site: For credit-bearing university or college courses, each semester-hour of credit shall equal 15 clock hours of CTLE credit
- Since the 2015-2016 National Board cycle, districts became eligible to receive up to $500 per candidate that has completed the National Board process. The teacher can elect to take up to three years to complete all four components the first time. When they have completed the National Board process, whether they certify or not; the district is eligible to submit for reimbursement for up to $500 (per candidate) to cover costs to support that teacher in their pursuit of National Board. Such costs could include: substitute teacher for release days, writing institutes, providing in district candidate support with a Professional Learning Facilitator (PLF), etc.
- In the Spring of 2019 current Shanker candidates will be required to complete the Tenure Attestation form. Districts may keep a copy of this form for their records.
- The Tenure Attestation form will be a requirement for all Albert Shanker grant candidates in subsequent application periods.
- Districts are eligible to submit for the individual reimbursements (per candidate) when the candidate has completed the process*.
- There is an open submission window, referenced on the NYSED Shanker Grant web page.
- The typical timeframe is between the beginning of May and end of June in any school year.
* the term “completed the process” means the candidate has submitted all four of the components the first time, regardless of certification status, and NYSED has been notified by National Board.
You will need to submit:
- The Shanker Grant reimbursement form
- The Shanker Grant Attestation form
5. How do I submit these documents?
You must submit via mail as documents must contain original signatures.
NYS Education Department
Office of Post Secondary Access, Support and Success
Attn: Albert Shanker Grant Program EB 5N
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
- The Superintendent or his/her designee
- You will receive an email from NYSED indicating your reimbursement paperwork has been received.
All questions should be directed to:
Albert Shanker Grant Program Administrator
Fax: 518- 473-0271
Additional candidate support:
National Board Council of New York: nbcny.org
National Board Customer Support 1-800-22TEACH (1-800-228-3224)