Smart Start Grant Program
The purpose of the Smart Start grant is to develop, implement, and share innovative programs that provide professional development and support to increase expertise in computer science, engineering, and/or educational technology among teachers in grades K-8.
$6,000,000 will be allocated annually. The grant period is anticipated to be five years, from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2025.
Smart Start programs (and component activities, materials, professional development resources, etc.) will support the mission of the NYS Board of Regents, which is to ensure that every child has equitable access to the highest quality educational opportunities, services and supports in schools that provide effective instruction aligned to the state’s standards, as well as positive learning environments so that each child is prepared for success in college, career, and citizenship.
- Questions and Answers
- For additional details, see the 2020-2025 Smart Start Grant application
- RFP Revised 10/16/19: Added "Code 15: Professional Salaries" to the Budget narrative section (page 51). The updated document is available in the Grant Applications Documents section.
- September 25 Informational Webinar: Recording; Slideshow
- NYSED determined that it would be helpful to post several Smart Start Grant Program eligibility-related questions and answers prior to the 10/22/19 Questions and Answers promise-date.
- Posted 10/10/19: Questions and Answers (Eligibility-related questions only)
- October 8: Questions about the RFP are due by midnight. Send questions to email@example.com.
- October 22: Responses to all questions will be posted to the P-12 Funding Opportunities web page.
- November 5: Applicants should send a Notice of Intent to Participate (NOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org. An email message will suffice.
- November 19: Hard copies of the proposals must be postmarked by this date and also submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Smart Start RFQ:
NYSED exercised its right to cancel the Smart Start RFQ, and will not be publishing a list of approved providers of professional development for the Smart Start program.