Smart Start Resources and Information For Grantees
Important Dates and Deadlines for Grantees
- April 1, 2021: Beginning of Year 1
- November 5, 2021: Inital website set-up
- January 11, 2022: Smart Start Midyear 1 Check-In Form due
- March 1, 2022: Draft FS-10, Budget Narrative and MWBE documents for Year 2 due
- March 11, 2022: Year 1 Amendments due (FS-10A)
- April 1, 2022: Year 2 begins
- *April 30, 2022*: Year 1 Final Expenditure Report (FS-10F) due (1 signed original + 1 copy mailed to Grants Finance)
- April 30, 2022: Year 1 M/WBE 104G Compliance Report due (signed and emailed to MWBEGrants@nysed.gov)
- May 30, 2022: All artifacts posted to website for Year 1
- June 30, 2022: Year 1 Annual Report due (sent out April 8)
- October 2022: Smart Start Midyear 2 Check-In
Send all forms to SmartStart@nysed.gov by the deadline(s) above unless otherwise stated.
*Please email a copy of the FS-10F to the progam office prior to submitting to Grants Finance*
For purposes of this grant, subscriptions for digital content or the use of online courses will be considered Purchased Services (Code 40), not Supplies and Materials (Code 45). No more than twenty percent (20%) of the funds may be used for purchase of Equipment and Supplies and Materials. No more than ten percent (10%) of the funds may be used for program administration, not including indirect costs. No more than five percent (5%) of the funds may be used for evaluation. Out of state travel and conference costs are not allowable expenses with grant funds. Districts cannot get aid reimbursement on items purchased through grant funds. The Smart Start grant does not allow funds to be rolled over from year to year.
For a focused grant the number of teachers that receive high-quality, job-embedded professional development and support must equal or exceed 50 unique individuals for each year of the grant or a total of 250 unique individuals over 5 years, and the number of schools represented must equal or exceed twelve (12) total over five (5) years. For a large grant the number of teaches must equal or exceed 100 unique individuals for each year of the grant or a total of 500 unique individuals over 5 years and the number of schools represented must equal or exceed twenty (20) total over five (5) years. District or School Administrators and BOCES Staff may attend PD but do not count towards the required number of teachers, but Teaching Assistants and other certified teaching professionals may count towards the required number of K-8 teachers.