Skip to main content

Closing a School

  1. Submit written notification

    On the school’s stationary submit notification to the Office of Religious and Independent School Support (ORISS) and the chief school administrator of the district in which the religious or independent school is located. The notification of closure must include the following:

    • School’s name and current address
    • School’s BEDS number (if applicable)
    • School district of location
    • Exact date of closure
    • Reason for closing
    • Location for storing student records:
      • Location name
      • Address
      • Telephone number, and
      • Contact person
  2. Transfer of pupil records

    • The closing school may transfer the pupil academic records to another school or agency
    • If the pupils’ academic records are not transferred to another school or agency, the closing school shall transfer such records to the school district in which such school is located, and the chief school administrator of such district shall be responsible for permanently maintaining such records. (8 CRRR-NY 104.2)
  3. Return material to the public-school district

    • All textbooks, library materials, computer software and hardware loaned to students who attended the religious or independent school.
  4. Submit any Certificate(s)

    If the school has received any of the following, please send to ORISS (address below)

    • Provisional or Absolute Charter documents, issued by the State Education Department.

Dissolution of the Corporation

For Education Corporations (Those formed pursuant to Education Law §216)

Visit NYSED’s Office of Counsel website for general information relating to Education Corporations, including legal references.

You can also find specific information on Dissolution of Corporations on NYSED’s Office of Counsel website.

For Corporations formed pursuant to the Not-for-Profit Corporations Law:

Pursuant to Article 10 of the Not-for-Profit Corporations Law, you may need to submit a dissolution petition to the Office of the Attorney General (OAG). Please review the information provided in the following OAG links:

Questions regarding dissolutions under the Not-for-Profit Corporations Law should be directed to the OAG’s Charities Bureau and/or your private attorney.

For Corporations formed pursuant to the Religious Corporations Law:

Schools incorporated under the Religious Corporation Law (RCL) should review RCL §18 external link for procedures regarding dissolution. Generally, such dissolutions require judicial involvement, and thus, you may wish consult with a private attorney.

It is important that the school closure process is followed to protect students’ privacy and their access to the educational documents. ORISS receives many inquiries for student transcripts years after a school has closed.