NYSSB - School Notification Form
School Notification Form - Schools are asked to inform the NYS Education Department of their intent to establish or continue a Seal of Biliteracy program each year they intend to offer the Seal by submitting the online NYSSB School Notification Form preferably by December 1st. This is true even if no element of their program has changed. Required in this form will be committee member information as well as program details (e.g. assessment rubrics). It is recommended to download a template of the School Notification Form in either Word or PDF see downloadable documents at the bottom of this page) so as to see the data that needs to be collected before filling out the online form.
The following updates have been made to this form:
- Requested submission date - Schools are requested to submit this form by December 1st of each school year. **Forms will continue to be accepted after December 1st to provide schools with the support they need under COVID.
- Subgroups– High schools will submit enrollment data on the following subgroups of seniors that may be awarded the NYSSB:
- Current English Language Learners (ELLs) who are seniors and who scored at least “Expanding” on the most recent NYSESLAT exam or who have earned a point towards criteria 1A or 1B through a 2020 exemption;
- Former/Ever ELLs who are seniors;
- Never-ELLs whose home language is English and who are seniors that completed or are completing a Checkpoint C World Language course; and
- Never-ELLs whose home language is other than English and who are seniors.
- Languages – High schools will report the names of languages spoken by the subgroups listed above as well as the language(s) taught at their school.
- School demographics – High schools will report data on the 12th grade cohort including total enrollment, number of students classified as ELLs, and race/ethinicity demographics/
- Seal of Biliteracy Committee – the five (5) required roles that must be filled on this committee are pre-identified. Schools will fill these in first and add additional committee members.
- Criteria to earn the NYSSB – High schools will anticipate the potential ways in which their students will most likely earn the required 6 points towards the NYSSB.
NYC DOE schools will be contacted by the Division of Multilingual Learners in the fall to provide this information.
All other schools outside of the NYC area (including NYC Charter Schools) will submit this form electronically by December 1 using the following link.