Emergency Assistance to Nonpublic Schools Program (EANS)
The Federal Emergency Assistance to Nonpublic Schools (EANS) program was initially created as part of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSA Act), the second federal economic stimulus package, passed in late 2020. A second allocation of funding to continue the EANS program was included in the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021. The U.S. Department of Education (USDE) has recently made these funds available to states. New York State has received an ARP EANS (EANS II) allocation of $251.2 million that will be made available to eligible religious and independent schools.
Similar to the administration of EANS funds included in the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act of 2021 (EANS I), the new EANS II funds will be directly administered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). NYSED has worked with the New York State Division of the Budget (DOB) and Governor’s Office to develop this program, consistent with the federal legislation and regulations.
EANS I & II UPDATE – February 16, 2023
If your school allocated funds to improve Educational Services as part of its EANS I or EANS II application, please find the vendors contracted to provide those services for the Long Island and Rest of State Regions below:
NY State Geographic Region
Identified Qualified Vendor
|Long Island Region||Catapult Learning||Nassau, Suffolk|
|NYC Metro Area Region||Catapult Learning||Bronx, Dutchess, Kings, New York, Orange, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Ulster, Westchester|
|Rest of State Region||Measurement Inc.||Albany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Erie, Genesee, Greene, Jefferson, Monroe, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Oswego, Rensselaer, Saint Lawrence, Steuben, Washington, Wayne|
***Please note: Identified vendors will contact all schools with EANS I Educational Services requests in the coming weeks to introduce themselves and start the individual school needs assessment process. These same vendors will continue to provide Educational Services under EANS II for applicable schools. More information will follow.
EANS Program Update – Unmet Needs Allocations
NYSED has announced the Unmet Needs Allocations after receipt of all applications and budget request survey responses. The allocation file is available for download at the following link:
Please contact EANS@nysed.gov with any questions.
EANS Program Update - Ventilation and Window Improvements Webinar
Please join the New York State Education Department for an informational webinar that will cover next steps for projects related to the Emergency Assistance to Nonpublic Schools (EANS I and EANS II) funding applications that your school submitted. As a reminder, projects funded by EANS I & II are focused on ventilation and window improvement projects. NYSED has partnered with Gordian to assist with procurement and completion of these projects. During this webinar, NYSED and Gordian will provide an overview of the process, next steps, and details on how schools can schedule a meeting to review eligible projects.
Click to register:
- October 11, 2022 at 10:00am
- For more information on Gordian and the EANS program, CLICK HERE
Register your school with Gordian to setup a meeting as soon as possible at this link: https://nysed.jcs.egordian.com/.
EANS II UPDATE - May 18, 2022
NYSED has updated the EANS II allocations after receipt of all eligible applications. The updated allocation file is available below:
More information regarding EANS II will be available soon.
EANS I UPDATE - April 15, 2022
NYSED wishes to determine if nonpublic schools have unmet needs that could be addressed with additional EANS I funding. NYSED is asking all eligible non-public schools to identify remaining unmet needs that are in addition to any previous requests, submitted applications, or allotments within originally assigned allocations. A letter outlining the requirements and process and an application (due no later than April 26, 2022) are available for download at the links below:
EANS I UPDATE - February 15, 2022
Schools may now submit supplemental reimbursement requests for future or additional purchases related to EANS I. More information can be found in the letter below, including directions and guidance on how to submit additional receipts and when all supplemental applications are due. Please review the letter before completing and submitting your supplemental application form. Both documents can be accessed and downloaded below:
All schools interested in receiving assistance as part of EANS II must submit a Letter of Intent to NYSED by November 8, 2021.
Schools that do not submit a Letter of Intent in one of the approved formats (see Cover Letter below) by the deadline will not be able to participate. Governor Hochul and NYSED encourage you to participate in this federally funded program.
Additionally, on October 20, 2021, USDE provided answers to NYSED’s inquiry from April 2021 concerning EANS eligibility and Federal PPP Loans. In short, USDE clarified that non-public schools affiliated with an entity (e.g. faith-based organizations, and charitable or other public services) that accepted PPP assistance are not necessarily precluded from receiving assistance under EANS. That is, if an organization and its affiliate schools have different tax id numbers/EINs, if the affiliated organization received PPP assistance but the school did not, or if a faith-based organization requested exemption to affiliation requirements, those schools may still apply for EANS if all other requirements are met. Schools that did not apply for EANS I based solely on previous PPP loan guidance, and believe they would now qualify based on revised USDE guidance, are invited to apply for EANS II.
For all of the details, please review all of the posted materials below:
- EANS II School Allocations (posted December 3, 2021)
- EANS II Application (PDF) - Due by December 16, 2021
- EANS II Application (MS Word) - Due by December 16, 2021
Please note: NYSED has provided access to the EANS II Application in multiple file formats. Please only submit one application per school or per pooled organization. Pooled applications must include a list of all schools covered by the application, including BEDS Codes. BEDS Codes can be found in the EANS II School Allocations document.
- EANS II Letter of Intent - Due by November 8, 2021
- EANS II LOI Spreadsheet for Pooling - Due by November 8, 2021
- NOTE: School enrollment counts may not be combined when pooling under a parent organization. Please list each school on a separate line on the pooled LOI spreadsheet.
- EANS II - Program Overview Slideshow (November 3, 2021)
EANS II Cover Letter - October 27, 2021
EANS I UPDATE - November 29, 2021
If your school requested services to improve Ventilation Systems (including repairs or improvements to HVAC or Windows) as part of its EANS I application, please find important services survey information below:
- EANS I - HVAC and Window Improvement Service Request Memo
- EANS I - HVAC and Window Improvement Service Request Survey (Single School, PDF)
- EANS I - HVAC and Window Improvement Service Request Survey (Pooled Application, Excel)
- EANS I Letter of Intent
- Directions on Accessing the EANS I Letter of Intent Survey
- Income Eligibility Survey for Our School’s Participation in the Federal Stimulus Program
- All Schools BEDS EANS I Spreadsheet
- EANS I Spreadsheet for Pooling
- Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools Frequently Asked Questions
- Please note: This FAQ document will be updated as questions arise.
- School Allocations for EANS I
(Please note that this is an estimate for planning purposes. Should some schools elect to withdraw, the numbers could increase.)
- Application for EANS I, due April 30, 2021
- Supplemental Reimbursement Application for EANS I, due July 15, 2021
- For future reimbursement requests, please submit a description of the requested items by July 15, 2021. Additional documentation, including invoices and proof of payment, must be submitted along with the supplemental reimbursement form.
- Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools (EANS) Frequently Asked Questions for Application Submission
- EANS 21-001 Educational Services Advertisement
- EANS 21-002 Ventilation System Repair Advertisement
Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools (EANS I) Program Cover Letter