Emergency Assistance to Nonpublic Schools Program (EANS)
The federal Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools (EANS) program is part of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSA Act), the second federal economic stimulus package, passed in late 2020.
The CRRSA Act created a fund that was directed to each state’s Governor, and within that fund, it allocated EANS money to religious and independent schools. A total of $248.9 million has been made available for New York State's religious and independent schools. Unlike last year’s CARES Act, which required local school districts to provide equitable services to nonpublic schools, these EANS funds will be directly administered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). NYSED has worked with the New York State Division of the Budget (DOB) and Governor's Office to develop this program.
For your school to receive a share of the funds, you must submit a Letter of Intent to NYSED by March 17, 2021, as explained in more detail below. Schools that do not submit a Letter of Intent in one of the approved formats by the deadline will not be able to participate. Governor Cuomo and NYSED encourage you to participate in this federally funded program.
For all of the details, please review all of the posted materials below.
- Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools (EANS) Program Cover Letter
- EANS Letter of Intent
- Directions on Accessing the EANS Letter of Intent Survey
- Income Eligibility Survey for Our School’s Participation in the Federal Stimulus Program
- All Schools BEDS EANS Spreadsheet
- EANS Spreadsheet for Pooling
- Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools Frequently Asked Questions
- Please note: This FAQ document will be updated as questions arise.
- School Allocations for EANS
(Please note that this is an estimate for planning purposes. Should some schools elect to withdraw, the numbers could increase.)
- Application for EANS, due April 30, 2021
- Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools (EANS) Frequently Asked Questions for Application Submission