Basic Education Data System (BEDS) Code Information
Obtaining a BEDS code:
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) State Office of Religious and Independent Schools (SORIS) uses the Basic Educational Data System (BEDS) code to recognize the existence of religious and independent schools and to facilitate the delivery of programs, services and resources that schools’ students are entitled to receive from their school district of residence. Each school building requires its own unique BEDS Code and related paperwork.
Below is a link to the memorandum regarding a new SEDRF data field which will be referred to as the SORIS code. Schools with multiple building locations, please read the memo in its entirety, including the questions and answers for specific guidance. For schools with only one building, no further action is needed regarding this data field. For additional information, review the memo and FAQ documents:
- SORIS Code Memo
- SORIS Code Frequently Asked Questions
- Understanding the New SORIS Code Webinar Video
Submitting Annual BEDS enrollment:
Instructions for completing the BEDS Report of Nonpublic Schools, the BEDS Report on Nonpublic Schools, and the BEDS Addendum for schools applying for a BEDS code for may be found on the Information and Reporting Services website. Report data should be based on enrollment on BEDS day, which is the first Wednesday in October each year.
Important BEDS reporting dates can also be found on the Calendar of Reminders.
Questions about the BEDS report should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions on Making Changes to…
- School Site Location/Address
- If a nonpublic school with an existing BEDS code moves to a new location, the school will need to submit a BEDS Change of Address form and accompanying documentation.
- If the school has either a charter with the Board of Regents or a Commissioner’s Consent, it will need to also file an amendment if it has not already done so. Information on filing amendments can be found on the Starting a School webpage.
- School Name
- If the school changes its name, it should also contact SORIS and submit necessary documents such as a Certificate of Assumed Name, and amendment to a Consent or Charter, so that NYSED records can be updated.
- Questions about the BEDS forms should be addressed (emailed) to SORIS at email@example.com, or Information and Reporting Services (IRS) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Information Associated with the BEDS Code in SEDREF
- Keeping your school’s information as current as possible in SEDREF will help your school stay up-to-date on the latest communications to come from NYSED. Please visit the SEDREF Main Information webpage for instructions on how to make changes to contact information.