Parent Dashboard Questions and Answers
- Will the New York State Parent Dashboard display data about my individual child? Is my child’s personally identifiable information (PII) secure?
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) takes its obligation to secure Personally Identifiable Information (PII) seriously. All information on the New York State Parent Dashboard is displayed at the school or district level. No individual student information will be available on the New York State Parent Dashboard. Find more information about our commitment to ensuring the security and privacy of student data on our Student Data Privacy web page.
- Where can I find information about my individual child?
Please contact your child’s school to obtain information about your child. Your child’s information will not be available on the New York State Parent Dashboard.
- Have parents been involved in the development of the New York State Parent Dashboard?
NYSED released a Parent Dashboard survey to gather feedback from parents and stakeholders to guide the work of developing the Parent Dashboard. NYSED is using this feedback to determine the best way to deliver information to parents and to identify the data that is most useful to parents and the public.
The data elements that parents have ranked highest on the survey (based on survey results received thus far) will be available for the initial launch of the Parent Dashboard.
If you haven’t already, please complete this five-minute survey and tell us how we can make the New York State Parent Dashboard as useful as possible.
If you would like to provide more feedback on the design of the Parent Dashboard, please watch our Parent Dashboard overview video and provide your feedback on the sample designs presented in the video.
- How can I provide feedback to further develop this site?
You can provide feedback in the following ways:
- Take our 5-minute Parent Dashboard survey
- Participate in any Parent Dashboard meetings in your area
- If you are unable to participate in an in-person meeting, watch our Parent Dashboard overview video and provide your feedback on the sample designs presented in the video.
- Email us at ParentDashboard@nysed.gov with feedback, comments, or questions.
- What data elements will be included in the initial launch of the Parent Dashboard?
We anticipate the following data elements will be included in the initial launch of the Parent Dashboard:
- Student ethnicity
- Average class size
- Test scores
- Graduation rates
- School climate information
- ESSA accountability designations
- College, Career, and Civic Readiness index
- General school/district information (name of the principal and/or superintendent, school contact information, and a map of the school’s location)
- The information I am looking for is not available on the New York State Parent Dashboard. How can I get more information about my child’s school?
Additional information about your child’s school is available on NYSED’s public data website. You can search for your child’s school by name and find detailed data on enrollment, assessments, graduation rates, and much more.
- How often will the Parent Dashboard be updated?
After the initial launch of the Parent Dashboard in spring 2019, NYSED will continue to gather feedback from parents and stakeholders to guide the development of the final product. The data on the Parent Dashboard will be updated annually.