Updating Charter School Information in SEDREF
All public contact information for charter schools, along with other entities doing business with the State Education Department, is maintained in the State Education Department Reference File (SEDREF) system, along with other key institutional data. The Department and the Charter School Office rely on the information in the SEDREF system for most communications with schools via email, phone, and mail. Therefore, it is important that charter school staff routinely review and update public contact information.
SEDREF public information for each school includes school name, address, phone, fax, grades served, and website URL and also the names and contact information for several key personnel titles at the school. For charter schools, although these titles might not exactly mirror what a particular school calls them, the titles or roles that are of most importance for information and communication purposes are:
- Board of Trustee President
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- Director of Special Education
- Information Officer
- Title I Coordinator
- Additional Contact
Updating school information in SEDREF can be accomplished by following these three steps:
- If necessary, look up the school's BEDS code in the charter school directory. Once the school is located:
- click on the school’s name;
- click on “Institutional data”; and
- locate the school’s BEDS code, which is listed as “SED Code” in the right hand column.
- Go to the SEDREF look-up page, enter the BEDS code in the "SED Code" field, and review the Administrative Positions.
- If an update is needed, email email@example.com to provide the new person’s information (name, email address and phone number). Be sure to provide the school's BEDS code and copy the Charter School Office.
The contact information for many new charter schools is often not complete or up-to-date on SEDREF. Please review the SEDREF information for to ensure that all information is current.
Any updates that involve a school name change or a change of school district must be approved by the Board of Regents or go into effect by operation of law before a change can be made to SEDREF. A change in location that will result in a change in district, or Community School District in New York City, must also approved by the school’s authorizer before the school can request a change can be made to SEDREF. (Changes in school district or CSD location will result in a change to the school’s BEDS code.) If these circumstances are applicable, please work directly with the authorizer bt all changes to SEDREF should be requested directly by the school once authorizer approval is granted.
Questions may be directed to the Department's Office of Information and Reporting Services or (518) 474.7965.