Law, Regulations & Memos
2022 Charter School Memos:
- Frequently Asked Questions on Cancellation of Regents Examination in United States History and Government
2021 Charter School Memos:
- January 2022 Regents Examination in United States History and Government (Framework) Diploma Requirement Exemption
- Provision of Educational Services for Recently Arrived Unaccompanied Children and Youth
- Information for Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) on American Rescue Plan (ARP) Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Plan State Budget Language
- Mandatory Collection of Student Enrollment, Free and Reduced-Price Eligibility, and Instructional Modality Data for the Issuance of Pandemic Food Benefits
- 2021-22 School Year COVID-19 Snow Day Pilot Program
- ARP ESSER Application Process 05-12-21
- CRRSA LEA Application Release 05-10-21
- BoR Authorized Charter School Local Assessment Reporting
- Submission of Revised School Reopening Plans
- Implementation Extension of the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics and NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards
- Federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funding
- Providing Over-Age Students the Opportunity to Return to School in the 2021-22 School Year Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Guidance on June 2021 Regents Exam Period 03-31-21
- March 2021 Meeting of the Board of Regents - Presentation: COVID-19 Emergency Regulations Part II
- Online Ordering of Regents Examinations:
- Spring 2021 Grades 3-8 English Language Arts and Mathematics Tests
- Spring 2021 New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT)
- 2020–21 Elementary- and Intermediate-level Testing Schedule
- The Use of Biometric Identifying Technology
- Regents Exams Required by USDE to be Offered in June / August 2021
- In-person Learning and COVID-19 testing and sports participation
- Updated Guidance for School Administrators Regarding Limited Temporary Enforcement of Student Immunization
- Reporting Snow Days in School Year 2020-21 Using the Report of School Closure and Report of School Re-Opening
- Federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act
- 2021 (CRRSA Act) Funding
2020 Charter School Memos:
- Updated Guidance for School Administrators Regarding Limited Temporary Enforcement of Student Immunization Requirement
- Regents Examination Declination Form for Parents
- Parental Right to Decline Examination Waivers
- COVID-19 Testing Requirements for Public and Non-Public Schools Located in Areas Designated as “Red” or “Orange” Cluster Zones Under the NYS Cluster Action Initiative
- Recent Amendments to Education Law §2801-a Regarding Pandemic Planning
- 2020-21 Remote Learning 180 Days Memo
- Reporting of Student Exemptions for the January 2021 Regents Examinations in SIRS in Response to COVID-19
- FAQ: Related to the Cancellation of the January 2021 New York State (NYS) High School Regents Examinations
- Cancellation of the January 2021 Administration of the New York State (NYS) High School Regents Examination
- Responding to the Challenges of Learning in Masked Environments
- Federal CARES Act Funding - Revised Instructions for Eligible LEAs
- Digital Equity Survey
- Guidance for School Administrators Regarding Limited Temporary Enforcement of Student Immunization Requirement
- BEDS Online – Fall 2020
- Basic Education Data System (BEDS) Change
- Information concerning Grades 3-8 English Language Arts and Mathematics testing program and procedures
- Memo on 2021 State Assessments
- Additional State Aid Allocation Fiscal Year
- 2020-21 Snow Day Pilot Memo
- Guidance on Pupil Transportation for Resident Students Attending Non-District Instruction During Periods of Remote Instruction for District Students
- 2020-21 School Reopening – Instructional Models Report and Report of School Closure and Report of School Re-Opening
- Public Health Law Section 2164 Memo on Vaccinations during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 2020-21 Special Education COVID-19 Charter School Billing Memo
- Reopening Plans Clarifications Memo
- Emergency Response Plan
- New Tentative Dates for the January 2021, June 2021, and August 2021 Regents Examination Periods
- Provision of Services to English Language Learners and World Languages Students During Statewide School Closures Due to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak in NYS
- Submission of School Reopening Plans
- Billing for Students with Disabilities Enrolled in Charter Schools During the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
- Providing Over-Age Students the Opportunity to Return to School in the 2020-2021 School Year Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 2019-2020 End of Year SIRS Data Reports
- 2019-2020 SSEC Reporting Memo
2019 Charter School Memos:
- Subject Area Certification Requirement and Statement of Continued Eligibility (SOCE) Information for Special Education Teachers
- Additional State Aid for Charter Schools
- Statement on Legislation Removing Non-Medical Exemption from School Vaccination Requirements
Charter School Regulations
§ 8 NYCRR 3.16 Delegation of authority with respect to charter schools.
§ 8 NYCRR 3.17 Procedures for the conduct of charter school revocation proceedings.
§ 8 NYCRR 119.1 Financing of charter schools.
§ 8 NYCRR 119.2 Participation in public employee retirement systems.
§ 8 NYCRR 119.3 Charter school reporting requirements.
§ 8 NYCRR 119.4 Hearings prior to the issuance, revision, or renewal of a charter school pursuant to Education Law section 2857(1).
§ 8 NYCRR 119.5 Random Selection Process for Charter School Student Applicants
§ 8 NYCRR 119.6 Policies against harassment, bullying, and discrimination.
§ 8 NYCRR 119.7 Renewal of Charters
§ 8 NYCRR 155.22 Qualified zone academy bonds and qualified school construction bonds.
§ 8 NYCRR 155.26 Qualified public educational facility bonds.
§ 21 NYCRR 5026.1 Admission of charter schools as participating employers.
§ 21 NYCRR 5026.2 Effect of admission as a participating employer.
§ 21 NYCRR 5026.3 Expulsion from participation.
§ 21 NYCRR 5026.4 Effect of expiration, termination or revocation of charter.
State Aid Charter School Information and Student FTE Calculator
Disclaimer: These Rules of the Regents and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education ("regulations") are unofficial, and are presented for general informational purposes as a public service. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that these regulations are current, complete and accurate, the State Education Department does not warrant or represent that they are current, complete and accurate. These regulations are subject to change on a regular basis. Readers are advised to consult Title 8 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York (8 NYCRR), published by the Department of State, and the State Register for the official exposition of the text of these regulations, as well as for amendments and any subsequent changes or revisions thereto.
New York Codes, Rules & Regulations (NYCRR)