Annual Program Evaluation Completed by Families
Families, parents, and/or guardians annually complete a prekindergarten program evaluation and/or survey. The school district applies results to program improvement, and regularly provides updated program quality information to families and the community.
The following is a sampling of end-of-year family survey items. For quantitative and qualitative results to consider in prekindergarten program evaluation and improvement, each statement should be followed by objective and subjective responses, such as the following examples:
- Strongly Agree
- Somewhat Agree
- Strongly Disagree
- Somewhat Disagree
Survey items should also collect comments when applicable.
Sampling of End-of-Year Family Survey Items
- The prekindergarten program made our family feel included. We were always welcome and invited to plan and participate in classroom activities and school events.
- I was greeted warmly every time I had contact with the prekindergarten program.
- My child’s teacher gave me helpful ideas about how to support my child’s learning.
- The teacher communicated regularly with me.
- I feel respected by my child’s teacher.
- The school provided support services that were appropriate and useful to my family.
- The school provided parent education workshops and activities that were of interest to me.
- I had opportunities as a parent to be involved in activities or events in my child’s classroom.
- It was apparent that prekindergarten program values diversity in its students and families.
- Prekindergarten program staff members made ongoing efforts to build a trusting relationship with me.
- My child’s prekindergarten program communicated with me in a language and manner I understand.
- Teachers and administrators addressed my questions and concerns in a thorough and timely manner.
- The teacher provided “at home” strategies and idea regularly so that I could support my child’s learning.
- My child’s teacher often shared information about things happening in the classroom
- My child’s teacher frequently showed interest in my child’s activities and interests at home.
- My child felt safe at school.
- The outdoor play area was appropriate and safe for my child.
- Supervision during indoor and outdoor recess was adequate for my child.
- The prekindergarten program made me and my child aware of safety procedures for emergencies.
- The prekindergarten program’s outdoor and indoor arrival and dismissal procedures were safe and well-organized.
- The prekindergarten program provided appropriate, nutritious, and varied snacks and lunches.
- I was satisfied with the quality, quantity, diversity and developmental appropriateness of the educational materials, supplies, and resources available in the classroom.
- My child found prekindergarten learning activities to be varied, interesting, and engaging.
- I have seen most of my child’s projects, artwork, classwork, etc.
- To make learning more meaningful, my child’s teacher incorporated diverse races, ethnicities, cultures, and languages in the classroom, curriculum, and lessons.
- The prekindergarten program supported my child’s English language development.
- The prekindergarten program supported my child’s Home language development.
- The prekindergarten program helped my child build social-emotional skills, confidence, and self-esteem.
- My child’s prekindergarten experience successfully prepared my child for kindergarten.
- I spoke with my child’s teacher at least 3 times this year regarding their progress. Ex: Parent/teacher conferences, progress reports, etc.
- I was an active participant in creating my child’s individualized education plan (IEP), and staff members worked diligently to achieve my child’s IEP goals.
- My child made significant progress due to support services for speech, English language development, home language development, occupational therapy, etc.
- I would recommend the prekindergarten program to other parents in the community.