SARA Application Process
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The submission and review process is the same for both first-time and renewal applications:
- Institutions complete a new participant or renewal application as appropriate. Forms can be downloaded from the NC-SARA "Apply & Renew" website.
- SUNY institutions send SARA applications to SUNY System Administration at email@example.com. If approved by System Administration, the application will be forwarded to NYSED.
- CUNY institutions send SARA applications to the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs. If approved, the application will be forwarded to NYSED.
- All other institutions send their SARA applications directly to NYSED.
- Institutions pay state fees. (Note: Do NOT send NC-SARA fees to NYSED. Information relating to payment of NC-SARA fees is provided below.)
- SUNY institutions, excepting community colleges, submit payments via interagency transfer through the State Finance System.
- CUNY institutions submit payments via interagency transfer through the State Finance System.
- All other institutions, including SUNY community colleges, submit payments by check directly to NYSED, using the Application Payment Form.
- Once the application and payment are received, NYSED will verify that the submission is complete. NYSED will commence review of complete applications after state fees are processed.
- After review, NYSED will notify the institution of its determination and, if the application is approved, will inform NC-SARA. If an application is denied, NYSED will provide the applicant institution with a written reason for the denial.
- NC-SARA will contact the institution to finalize the participant information and arrange for payment of the NC-SARA fee.
- NC-SARA fees should be sent directly to NC-SARA after SARA approval has been received from NYSED. NC-SARA fees must be processed no later than 60 days after state approval to participate.
- SARA membership commences or renews once NC-SARA has processed the Institution’s payment.
- Institutions are then eligible to operate under the terms and provisions of the SARA agreement.