The purpose of TOC is to increase the participation rate of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged individuals in teaching careers. TOC Programs will:
- include instructional strategies designed to meet the learning needs of students placed at risk;
- incorporate the use of mentors and other high-quality support systems for pre-service and new teachers that are designed to ensure a lasting and positive effect on classroom performance;
- reflect current research on teaching and learning; culturally and linguistically relevant teaching; youth development; restorative practices; and STEM concentrations at the elementary, middle & high school levels;
- integrate a clinically rich pre-service model with a 10-month internship experience and includes partnerships with high- needs schools to help them address the recurrent teacher shortage areas; and
- foster retention in teaching of highly qualified individuals who value diversity and equity.
State Statute: Chapter 53 of the Laws of 1987 and Chapter 53 of the Laws of 2016