Surveys can help provide a critical piece of feedback from various stakeholders that can give crucial insight into school-specific needs, particularly for measures that can be difficult to measure related to school climate.
- All Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) and Targeted Support and Improvement (TSI) schools are required to conduct annual surveys of parents, staff, and students.
- The results of the survey are to be used to understand needs and inform school and district improvement plans.
Identifying a Survey Instrument
- The New York State Education Department does not offer recommendations or approvals on survey vendors. There are no State-approved survey vendors nor is there a list of approved survey vendors.
- Districts can select the survey instrument that best suits their needs or develop their own
- Districts are encouraged to use the same survey questions across multiple years to measure progress toward specific indicators
- Districts must ensure the integrity of the results
- The U.S. Department of Education School Climate Survey can be used to fulfil the survey requirement
- Title I 1003 grant funds may be used to pay for the cost of the surveys