Skip to main content

Opening a College


Provisional Authorization to Open a College in New York State

This information and the linked materials are for those wishing to establish a new degree-granting institution in New York State.

The process to establish a degree-granting institution in New York State involves a rigorous, multi-phase review process, including a canvass of existing New York State degree-granting institutions to provide an opportunity for those institutions to raise issues and concerns about the possible impact the approval of the application would have on those institutions. Be advised that the submission of an application does not guarantee that it will be approved. Additionally, all proposed academic programs would need to meet New York State’s program registration standards.

If you wish to review relevant regulations for additional information, please see:

Section 3.58 of the Rules of the Board of Regents (opening a for-profit college)
Section 3.59 of the Rules of the Board of Regents (opening a non-profit college)
Section 52.1 of the Regulations of the Commissioner (registration of curricula)
Section 52.2 of the Regulations of the Commissioner (standards for the registration of curricula)

Due to NYSED’s role in the review and determination of properly submitted applications, Department management and staff maintain a critical distance from applicants’ pre-submission program design decisions. NYSED cannot provide assistance regarding the substance or content of an application for provisional authorization. As such, NYSED does not schedule in-person meetings or phone calls to discuss the design or content of a prospective applicant’s submission.

Please note that the information provided on this page may not be applicable to degrees and programs related to professional licensure.

For information on educational laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to licensed professions (e.g., social work, nursing), please contact the Office of the Professions at

For information on educational laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to licensed private career schools, please contact the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision.

Technical questions about how to apply for authorization to establish a new New York State degree-granting institution should be directed to

  1. Download and complete the application, workbook, and budget template. (Reminder: This application is not for requests related to New York’s licensed professions.)
  2. To begin the application submission process, institutions must first submit a Notification of Intent to apply for provisional degree authority. Please note that submission of a Notification of Intent does not guarantee a specific place in the queue of received and completed applications pending review.
  3. Once the Notification of Intent is received, NYSED will acknowledge receipt and provide information about accessing a secure online application submission folder. (Note: Folder access will not be given prior to May 1, 2024.)
  4. Do not submit a paper copy of the application. Once an application is ready for submission, all files should be uploaded to the application submission folder and a formal notice of application submission should be sent to
  5. A non-refundable, non-transferable check for $7,000, plus $2,500 for each additional degree program if more than one program is requested, made payable to the New York State Education Department, will be due upon submission of the application.
  6. The application payment must include:
  • A NYSED payment form (see the Application Workbook)
  • A check made out to the New York State Education Department

    The mailing address for the payment is:
    New York State Education Department
    ATTN: Provisional Authorization
    Office of College and University Evaluation
    89 Washington Avenue, Room 960 EBA
    Albany, NY 12234