SARA Renewal Timeline
New York State degree-granting institutions that are currently approved by the State Education Department (NYSED) to participate in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) are eligible to apply for renewal. Approval terms are for twelve months and must be renewed each year. The renewal application process includes a review of the institution's past and on-going compliance with SARA requirements, and of the institution's commitment to continued compliance.
The following steps outline the renewal application timeline:
- 90 DAYS: Institutions will be notified by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) of their upcoming renewal at least ninety days before the renewal date.
- 30 DAYS: Institutions must submit their renewal application and fee to NYSED no more than thirty days after receipt of the NC-SARA renewal notice.
- 30 DAYS: NYSED will render a renewal determination, and notify the institution and NC-SARA, no later than thirty days after receipt of the renewal application.
- If an application for renewal is denied, NYSED will provide the applicant institution with a written reason for the denial.
- 30 DAYS: Approved institutions shall submit their renewal fee to NC-SARA within thirty days of notification of approval.