The Office of Special Education works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities through its roles and responsibilities to:
- oversee the implementation of federal and State laws and policy for students with disabilities.
- provide general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools serving New York State preschool and school-age students with disabilities.
- establish a broad network of technical assistance centers and providers to work directly with parents and school districts to provide current information and high-quality professional development and technical assistance to improve results for students with disabilities.
- ensure a system of due process, including special education mediation and impartial hearings.
- assists with the mission of the New York State Justice Center as it pertains to approved residential schools serving students with disabilities.
- meet with stakeholders through the Commissioner's Advisory Panel for Special Education Services.
For questions regarding a specific student or school or school district’s policies, procedures or practices, parents and/or educators may wish to contact the Special Education Quality Assurance (SEQA) office located in their region at email@example.com.
For general policy questions related to the education of students with disabilities, parents and/or educators may contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org
To join our listserv, follow instructions to register to receive electronic mail with the latest memoranda and other technical assistance documents issued by the Office of Special Education and New York State Education Department.
New York State Education Department
Office of Special Education
89 Washington Avenue, Room 309 EB
Albany, New York 12234