Make Videos Accessible
All videos posted or linked to NYSED websites must have captions so that they are accessible for all users and to ensure compliance with NYSED's Web Accessibility Policy. Each program area office is responsible for obtaining captions for any videos that they decide to post on their website.
Resources for Creating Captions:
- Creating Video Captions Using YouTube – These instructions explain how to create captions by using the free captioning tool in YouTube.
- Captions may also be purchased from several vendors such as Rev.com, GoTranscript, Scribie, etc.
Additional Video Resources for NYSED Staff:
- Export Video from WebEx Network Recording Player
- How to Optimize Video and Audio Output from WebEx ARF
- VSDC Free Video Editor - this program is used to edit videos if there are video or audio issues that need to be fixed. It is not necessary for creating captions as this can be done completely with YouTube.
- Download and install VSDC Video Editor: Go to http://forum01.nysed.gov/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1503405464. (For NYSED staff only)
- Edit Videos with VSDC Free Video Editor - This guide has information on how to trim videos, crop videos, adjust audio levels and replace the audio layer in video projects.
Please Note: After reviewing these instructions, if you still have questions about making videos accessible, please contact your web content manager. You may also submit your question to the NYSED Web Accessibility Support Forum.