New York State Teacher of the Year
New York State recognizes and celebrates the exceptionally skilled and passionate educators who exist in every school in the State. The purpose of the New York State Teacher of the Year program is to:
- Support the development of programs throughout the State that recognize great teachers in their schools;
- Engage exemplary teachers in professional development by completing the New York State Teacher of the Year application; and
- Identify and celebrate one teacher per year as the New York State Teacher of the Year who will represent all of New York State teachers at events throughout the State and at national events with Teachers of the Year from across the United States.
“Teaching should bring joy and happiness every day because teaching is all about cultivating and nurturing relationships. It does not matter how outstanding our lessons are, how skilled we are in delivering those lessons or how knowledgeable we are in our subject matter if our students do not know how much we care about them.”
New York State Board of Regents Names 2019 Teacher of the Year
The New York State Board of Regents announced on September 18, 2018 that Alhassan Susso has been named the 2019 New York State Teacher of the Year. Susso is a high school social studies teacher at International Community High School in the Bronx.
Congratulations to the finalists for 2019 New York State Teacher of the Year:
- Rachel Murat, a high school social studies teacher at Maine Endwell High School in Endwell; and
- William H. Green, a high school chemistry teacher at Frederick Douglass Academy III in the Bronx.
Celebrate and recognize the outstanding teaching that takes place in classrooms throughout New York and nominate a teacher!
A teacher may be initially nominated by any person within the school or community including parents, students, business leaders, school administrators, or colleagues using the nomination form. The formal nomination should involve a collaborative decision-making process indicating the support of all the groups concerned with the quality of teaching within a school. A complete application including letters of support is submitted for each nominee. Support from the school community may include approximately 30 days of release time to fulfill the obligations of the Teacher of the Year.
Responsibilities and Program Benefits
The individuals selected to serve as State Teachers of the Year will be the ambassadors for the teaching profession across New York State and will lead by their passion for teaching.
The New York State Teacher of the Year is provided with numerous professional development opportunities. In addition, schools and districts may also experience several of the other benefits of the Teacher of the Year Program, such as:
- day of honor and learning for the New York State Teacher of the Year;
- information and technical support for principals about how to prepare and support excellent teachers;
- visit by the Commissioner of Education in the classroom and school of the New York State Teacher of the Year;
- coaching for other teachers on instructional approaches;
- every student, teacher, and parent in every school in the State will know that their school has exemplary teachers who are recognized for their craft; and
- meet the President of the United States.
Teacher of the Year Reflections
"Being selected as New York's Teacher of the Year is not only an honor but also a responsibility to represent and speak on behalf of the excellent teachers across the state."
-Greg Ahlquist, 2013 Teacher of the Year
"During my year as the 2011 NYSTOY I engaged in the most powerful
professional development possible. I spent four weeks working and growing
with the state teachers of the year from across the country and had dozens
of opportunities to speak to and with educational leaders and with
educational stakeholder agencies. It has changed my life and my practice forever.”
-Jeff Peneston, 2011 Teacher of the Year
“NYSUT continues to be a strong supporter of the New York State Teacher of the Year program. This unique collaboration with the State Education Department provides proper recognition of the importance of the teaching profession. We are pleased to see SED's continued recognition of the Teacher of the Year Program by their inclusion on the Commissioner’s Teacher Advisory Council. In keeping with tradition, NYSUT will promote the program among our members and recognize this year's recipient at a General Session of our Representative Assembly.”
-Jolene DiBrango, NYSUT Executive Vice President
“The Teacher of the Year is a district and building leader.”
New York State (NYS) wishes to recognize and celebrate an exceptionally skilled and passionate educator to be an ambassador for NYS teachers and to serve as the NYS nominee for the National Teacher of the Year Program.
The New York State Teachers of the Year and/or their schools are supported by New York State United Teachers (NYSUT), New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers, Inc. (NYS PTA), New York State Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (NYSASCD), the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), Voya Financial, the SMART Technologies, and Educational Testing Service (ETS).
The New York State Teacher of the Year Program, now in its 49th year, is administered by the New York State Education Department. It is affiliated with the National Teacher of the Year program administered through the Council of Chief State School Officers and sponsored by leading education associations. Teacher of the Year is the oldest and most prestigious teacher recognition activity in the nation.