Public School Registration
In accordance with section 100.21(c) of Commissioner’s Regulations, the New York State Education Department requires that a school district submit the appropriate forms, no later than March 1st of the previous school year for a:
- new public school opening in September of the next school year (elementary, intermediate, middle, junior high school or high school)
- public school modifying the grade organization during the school year
- public school changing its name or location
- public school that is closing
In extraordinary circumstances, when the March 1st deadline cannot be met, 100.21(c) of Commissioner’s Regulations states that school registration documents can be submitted at least 90 days prior to the opening/modifying of the school.
The regulations also require the district to submit a copy of the Board of Education resolution to open the school. In addition, the Department requires that all submissions for the closure or modification of an existing public school must include a copy of the Board of Education resolution.
The Commissioner will review the submission of requests for new schools before recommending their approval to the Board of Regents. If it is satisfactorily demonstrated that the school will be operated in an educationally sound manner; follows applicable statutes, rules and regulations relating to public schools; and will operate in accordance with applicable building codes and pursuant to a certificate of occupancy, the school may be approved. Petitions submitted by March 1st will be presented to the Board of Regents for action, at its May or June meeting.
In the event that a school district merges two or more schools or transfers organizational responsibility for one or more grades from one school to another, the school district must request that the Commissioner review the accountability status of the affected schools to reflect such organizational changes.
PUBLIC SCHOOL REGISTRATION (PSR) APPLICATIONS
For permanent changes to any of its schools, a district is required to submit all Public School Registration (PSR) requests via the Business Portal under the SED Monitoring and Vendor Performance System.
To request that a PSR portal application be assigned to your district/school, please provide the information below and return it via e-mail to Schoolregistration@nysed.gov.
|School Name||BEDS Code||
PSR Action (please select one option)
- For temporarily modifying grade configuration and/or temporarily changing a school’s location to address the impact of the COVID-19 public health emergency, districts should submit requests for these temporary changes for the 2020-21 school year, as soon as possible.
- All temporary changes, should be made by completing the augmented District Summary Form:
- Each PSR request must include a resolution made by the district’s board of education. The resolution should include details regarding the requested changes. Please notify the Department of PSR changes even if the district's board has not yet ratified the changes officially. To be flexible, final and retroactive approval can be obtained once the board resolution has been submitted.
All questions about Public School Registration may be addressed to Dr. Paulette Coppin, Associate in Instructional Services via e-mail at Schoolregistration@nysed.gov or via phone at at (718) 722- 4553.