Public School Registration
In accordance with section 100.21(c) of Commissioner’s Regulations, the New York State Education Department requires that a school district submit the appropriate forms, no later than March 1st of the previous school year for a:
- new public school opening in September of the next school year (elementary, intermediate, middle, junior high school or high school)
- public school modifying the grade organization during the school year
- public school changing its name or location
- public school that is closing
In extraordinary circumstances, when the March 1st deadline cannot be met, 100.18(c) of Commissioner’s Regulations states that school registration documents can be submitted at least 90 days prior to the opening/modifying of the school.
The regulations also require the district to submit a copy of the Board of Education resolution to open the school. In addition, the Department requires that all submissions for the closure or modification of an existing public school must include a copy of the Board of Education resolution.
The Commissioner will review the submission of requests for new schools before recommending their approval to the Board of Regents. If it is satisfactorily demonstrated that the school will be operated in an educationally sound manner; follows applicable statutes, rules and regulations relating to public schools; and will operate in accordance with applicable building codes and pursuant to a certificate of occupancy, the school may be approved. Petitions submitted by March 1st will be presented to the Board of Regents for action, at its May or June meeting.
Districts are required to submit all school registration documents to email@example.com. Public School Registration forms will be provided upon request.
Districts must submit the appropriate forms, per the changes/additions they seek to adopt along with a signed Board Resolution, which explicitly illustrates all actions taking place in the district.
In the event that a school district merges two or more schools or transfers organizational responsibility for one or more grades from one school to another, the school district must request that the Commissioner review the accountability status of the affected schools to reflect such organizational changes.
- For temporarily modifying grade configuration during the school year and/or temporarily changing a school’s location to address the impact of the COVID-19 public health emergency districts should submit requests for temporary changes in grade configuration and/or location for the 2020-21 school year, as soon as possible.
- All such changes, whether permanent or temporary, should be made complete the augmented District Summary Form:
- Each PSR request must include a resolution by the district’s board of education. The resolution should include details regarding the requested changes. Please notify the Department of PSR changes even if your board has not yet ratified the changes officially. To be flexible, final and retroactive approval can be obtained once the board resolution has been submitted.
- As a reminder, a school’s grade configuration is used for state reporting purposes. Therefore, any change to grade configuration should only take place with approval of the NYSED Office of Accountability via the currently established PSR process.
- Please note that the PSR submission process will be revised in spring of 2021. School closures, new schools, and changes in grade configuration, location, and/or name will be processed through the NYS Business Portal. Additional details will be shared before we launch on that platform.
Should you have questions about Public School Registration, please contact the Office of Accountability at (718) 722-4553 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about Public School Registration may be addressed to Dr. Paulette Coppin, Associate in Instructional Services, Accountability, Policy and Administration at (718) 722- 4553. All school districts must submit their forms and/or all other paperwork via email to email@example.com. Please note that all signature pages must be sent via postal mail to:
Office of Accountability
New York State Education Department
55 Hanson Place, Room 445A
Brooklyn, NY 11217