Learning Technology Grant Program Overview: Newburgh Enlarged City School District
Award Years: 2021-2024
Goldback Innovation Fellows (GIF): Building a Community of Technology-Infused Inquiry
The Newburgh Enlarged City School District (NECSD) is located on the west bank of the Hudson River, 60 miles north of New York City, and is the 10th largest school district in New York. The district has 11,557 students with 15% of the district’s students identified as English Language Learners (ELLs). NECSD is identified by NYSED as a High Need/Urban or Suburban Target District in need of Comprehensive Support and Improvement.
In Year 1, the Newburgh Enlarged City School District’s Learning Technology Grant program will serve 58 teachers who represent each of the district’s 12 school buildings, 12 administrators, 2,875 students served by the 58 NECSD teachers participating in PD; and four teachers from religious/independent schools within NECSD boundaries.
Teachers and administrators will participate in 11.5 hours of PD, delivered during the summer and after school. PD will primarily consist of small-group workshops, supplemented by professional learning communities (PLCs), coaching, and online collaborative spaces. Teachers will also practice “turnkey teaching methods” so that they can help train new cohorts of teachers in successive years.
The program’s overarching goals:
- Increase district capacity to support student-centered, personalized learning by providing professional learning opportunities in the areas of educational technology and inquiry-based teaching;
- Create and deliver high-quality PD focused on student-centered, personalized learning to teachers and administrators and help teachers collaborate to incorporate educational technology into classrooms as they transition to inquiry-based teaching;
- Improve student achievement and engagement by incorporating educational technology into classrooms as students transition to inquiry-based learning; and,
- Increase GIF Program’s effectiveness, efficiency, and scope to enable the district to offer turnkey PD and to disseminate PD materials produced as part of the grant program.
- Onyx Peterson, email@example.com
- Vincent Brancato, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Goldback Innovation Fellows (GIF): Building a Community of Technology-Infused Inquiry