Skip to main content

Out-of-State Institutions

Pursuant to state regulations, out-of-state degree-granting institutions seeking to offer credit-bearing instruction, including via distance education or with a physical presence in New York State, must first obtain approval from the New York State Education Department (NYSED).

Distance Education in New York State

Out-of-state non-SARA institutions seeking to offer distance education in New York State must obtain approval from NYSED prior to enrolling New York students.  The application, and information needed to request approval are available on the Distance Education page.

New York State participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). Out-of-state institutions participating in SARA are considered approved to offer distance education in New York State under the terms of SARA. 

Any NYSED communication and/or determination regarding state authorization of distance education issued to an institution of higher education prior to March 28, 2017, is no longer applicable for the purpose of demonstrating approval or state authorization.

Operating with a Physical Presence in New York State

Out-of-state institutions seeking to offer credit-bearing post-secondary instruction with a physical presence in New York State must complete and submit an Application for Permission to Operate in New York State. The application and additional information are available in the Permission to Operate section. 

Licensed Professions

Clinical placements in New York State’s licensed professions trigger a physical presence in New York State and require prior approval or exemption from the New York State Office of Professions.  This includes out-of-state SARA institutions. For additional information contact the Office of Professions at or (518) 474‐3817, ext. 360.  

Non-Degree/Non-Credit Instruction

Non-degree-granting proprietary schools may require the approval of the Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision (BPSS) in order to operate in New York State.  Additional information is available on the BPSS website