Statewide Elementary Mathematics Tournament
- NYSED and FIRST IN MATH are joining forces to bring a Statewide Elementary Mathematics Tournament to New York State!
- The First In Math Statewide Elementary Mathematics Tournament consists of a Virtual Regional Contest (Qualifying Round) and an In-person Statewide Championship Event.
- The Virtual Regional Contest will focus on the popular 24® Game series featured in the First In Math online program Skill Sets®. These games test fact fluency, automaticity, problem solving, procedural fluency, and other critical math skills. As children practice, the games' simple structure allows learners to engage quickly, seek out higher levels of challenge, and increase confidence in mental-math abilities.
- At the Statewide Championship Event, students will use game cards (representing online activities they can practice) competitively in a group setting to demonstrate through modeling their conceptual understanding.
WHEN & WHERE
- Virtual Regional Qualifying Round Date: Thursday, March 30, 2023
- In-person Statewide Championship Event Date/Location: Saturday, May 20, 2023, at The University at Albany, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222.
- To participate, NYS districts/schools need to be signed up for the FIRST IN MATH program. Sign up for the free First In Math program using this request form.
- ALL New York State students in grades 1 to 5, who are enrolled in the FIRST IN MATH, program will be invited to participate in the Virtual Regional Qualifying Round on March 30, 2023.
- Winners of the virtual qualifying round will advance to the Statewide Championship Event on May 20, 2023, at SUNY Albany! Only 150 children will qualify to attend.
- Students who participate at both competitions (Regional & Statewide) will receive Certificates of Participation. Winners will receive trophies.
- Regional Contest Winners: the winning school at each grade level (grades 1-5) will receive a plaque and $1000 award, and
- Statewide Event Winners: the winning school at each grade level (grades 1-5) will receive a plaque and $5000 award.
Interested in participating in the Statewide Tournament?
- Sign up for the free First In Math program using this request form.
- For more information on the First In Math (FIM) program or the Statewide Elementary Mathematics Tournament, please visit the FIM Tournament webpage.
ADDITIONAL TOURNAMENT INFORMATION
- The Virtual Regional Qualifying Round will take place during school hours. A link will be visible in each student's FIM notifications mailbox between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm on Thursday, March 30, 2023.
- Students from each region ** who correctly solve the most Skill Set problems in the allotted time will advance to the Statewide Championship Event! FYI: For the qualifying round, students will receive grade-appropriate challenges.
- After the Virtual Regional Qualifying Round is complete, FIRST IN MATH will contact the winning students’ principals with details about the Statewide Championship Event scheduled for Saturday, May 20, 2023!
- For the Statewide Championship Event, teams of 15 students per region** will participate on Saturday, May 20, 2023 at the Statewide Championship Event and compete for top honors and prizes!
- Teams of 15 students per region**: 3 students from the same school and the same grade level, (one team each from grades 1 through 5).
- Students must have parental permission to participate in the Statewide Championship Event at The University at Albany. A signed Photo Release form must be submitted to Nancy Kane, Tournament Program Administrator, no later than May 1, 2023.
- Forms can be faxed to 610-258-2180 or emailed to email@example.com with the subject line: NYS Tournament Release Form.
- Chaperones: For the Statewide Championship Event, each child may bring one parent and each team must be accompanied by one teacher or school administrator.
- Travel Reimbursement: For the Statewide Championship Event, participants who live more than 90 miles from The University at Albany will be reimbursed for travel expenses. Please contact your schools’ principal for details or contact Nan Ronis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**For purposes of this competition there are 10 regions, as determined by NYSED.
PREPARATION FOR THE VIRTUAL REGIONAL QUALIFYING ROUND
- The optional, supplemental math practice offered through participation in FIRST IN MATH provides support to assist students in meeting grade-level fluency expectations. As your students "play math games" on the FIM site in preparation for these events, they will be building multiple fluencies needed for future success.
- Early on, Just The Facts helps students identify where practice is needed, and is then followed by Very Important Facts and GYMS to increase fact fluency.
- When they are ready, students move on to grade-appropriate Skill Set games to familiarize them with the type of math challenges they will see at the Virtual Regional Qualifying Round! Preview the skills tested in Skill Set games here.
- Encourage students to play the Skill Set Game(s) available for their grade. Students will compete with others at their grade level.
Students should be given adequate access to FIRST IN MATH to attain multiple fluencies needed for success prior to the Virtual Regional Qualifying Round; if they qualify for the Statewide Championship Event, they will be competing in a round-robin, tournament-style event against other students at their grade level.
Sign up for the free First In Math program using this request form.
For more information on the First In Math (FIM) program or the Statewide Elementary Mathematics Tournament, please visit the FIM Tournament webpage.