This page provides guidance, information and resources for school health instruction as required by education law and Commissioner's regulations. The New York State Center For School Health also has updated, comprehensive materials available.
Learning Standards for Health
- Learning Standards for Physical Education, Health and Family Consumer Science
- Guidance Document to Achieving New York State Learning Standards in Health
- This guidance document provides local educational agencies with a framework for developing health curricula and implementing instructional and assessment strategies. This document is intended for use by administrators and school health education personnel. Every attempt has been made to ensure that the information and resources contained in this document reflect best practice in health education. This document is not intended as a mandate and is to be used for guidance purposes only. Any local curricula or instructional strategies developed based upon this document, in whole or in part, should be reviewed through normal district procedures and be consistent with local community values and needs. (Updated 4/25/14)
Health Education Regulation
Additional Health Resources
- *Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and AED studies; Associated with Commissioner's Regulations Part 100.2(c)(11)
- Condom Availability
- Evidence-based E-Cigarettes and Vaping Webinar, and an E-Cigarettes Learning Page available at the NYS Center for School Health, a contracted technical assistance resource center for the NYSED, with additionally resources located at the NYSDOH Get the Facts Website.
- Gambling Resources
- *Guidance for Providing Educational Resources to Address Substance Abuse, June 2019
- *Mental Health Education in Schools; Associated with Commisssioner's Regulation Part 135.3
- Organ and Tissue Donation
- Sepsis Information
- *Supplemental Guidance: Resource Packet for Heroin and Opioids; Memo Re: Clarification/Modernization of Health Ed Law
- Tick and Tick-Borne Disease: Education in School
Resources for Health Education Curriculum Development
Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT) - The HECAT can help school districts, schools, and others conduct a clear, complete, and consistent analysis of health education curricula based on the National Health Education Standards and CDC’s Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum. Results of the HECAT results can help schools select or develop appropriate and effective health education curricula and improve the delivery of health education. The HECAT can be customized to meet local community needs and conform to the curriculum requirements of the state or school district.