English Language Arts & Literacy Curriculum Resources
By design, the standards do not specify any one method of instruction or approach. Specific programmatic design, choices in literature, and instructional strategies and approaches all remain as decisions for individual districts. In order to provide curriculum development guidance, the Introduction to the NYS Next Generation English Language Arts Standards provides strategies for using the new standards in the classroom, supports for applying the standards to differently-abled students (students with disabilities) and Multilingual/English language learners, as well as guidance on utilization of the new Lifelong Practices for Readers and Writers. In addition to the support within the introduction, NYSED offers the following materials to guide local curriculum development.
NYSED is currently drafting the Guide for Aligning the 3-12 EngageNY Modules and Local Curricula to the Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards to support teachers during this process.
Other valuable resources include:
- Linguistically Diverse Learners and the NYS Next Generation P-12 Learning Standards: A Series of Topic Briefs Produced for the New York State Education Department by Nonie K. Lesaux, PhD & Emily Phillips Galloway, EdD
- Preface to the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts and Mathematics Learning Standards
- Introduction to the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards
- Lifelong Practices of Readers and Writers
- Next Generation Learning Standards Roadmap and Implementation Timeline
- Next Generation English Language Arts Crosswalks
- New York State Curriculum Modules
|Early Learning Resources:||Multilingual Learner Resources:||Differently Abled Learner Resources:|