English Language Arts & Literacy Curriculum Resources
By design, the standards do not specify any one method of instruction or approach. Specific programmatic design, choices in literature, and instructional strategies and approaches all remain as decisions for individual districts. In order to provide curriculum development guidance, the Introduction to the NYS Next Generation English Language Arts Standards provides strategies for using the new standards in the classroom, supports for applying the standards to students with disabilities and multilingual/English language learners, as well as guidance on utilization of the new Lifelong Practices for Readers and Writers. In addition to the support within the introduction, NYSED offers the following materials to guide local curriculum development.
NEW! Write on, NY! Write on, NY! is a statewide writing initiative that promotes student writing and the Lifelong Practices of Writers. This initiative is a collaborative endeavor with New York State’s teachers, districts, educational organizations, the NYSED English Language Arts Advisory Panel, and statewide ELA and literacy professional organizations. Listed below are the Lifelong Practices for Writers, which guide the Next Generation Learning Standards for English Language Arts.
NEW! The Guide for Aligning Local Curricula to the Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards was designed to support New York State school districts and educators as they implement the Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards (adopted 2017) beginning in Fall 2020. In New York State, curriculum decisions are local school district decisions and this alignment guide is optional for school districts. The guidance is provided to support districts' creation or revision of units of instruction aligned with the student learning expectations in the Next Generation English Language Arts (ELA) Learning Standards. This guide was crafted for grades 3-12; however, the guidance included applies to prekindergarten-grade 2, with some necessary modifications to suit the developmental level and curriculum needs of New York State's youngest learners.
Other valuable resources include:
- Linguistically Diverse Learners and the NYS Next Generation P-12 Learning Standards: A Series of Topic Briefs Produced for the New York State Education Department by Nonie K. Lesaux, PhD & Emily Phillips Galloway, EdD
- Preface to the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts and Mathematics Learning Standards
- Introduction to the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards
- Lifelong Practices of Readers and Writers
- Next Generation Learning Standards Roadmap and Implementation Timeline
- Next Generation English Language Arts Crosswalks
- NEW! Supporting All Students: Resource Guides for Scaffolding Instruction of English Language Arts
- New York State Curriculum Modules
|Early Learning Resources:||Multilingual Learner Resources:||Resources to Support Students with Disabilities:|