Discover Authentic Resource Gems in the World Language Wakelet
The Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL) of the New York State Education Department (NYSED) presents this next webinar in its 2023 Professional Learning Series: Discover Authentic Resource Gems in the World Language Wakelet. This webinar is offered free of charge for world language administrators and leaders working and studying in New York State educational institutions.
Original webinar date: Thursday, June 15th, 2023, 4:00—5:00 p.m.
Webinar description: The World Language Wakelet houses a plethora of curated authentic resources in numerous languages and features sources on the benefits of and strategies to implement authentic resources. This session will walk through how this Wakelet is organized and explore its different sections. You will learn different methods to search within the Curated Authentic Resource Collections to acquire authentic materials for your instructional toolbox. The presenter will demonstrate several ways to save a resource from this Wakelet and various digital curation and storage platforms that you can use to house, label, and organize the saved resources. You don’t want to lose what you found!
Presenter: Barbara Patterson
Link to post-assessments
To receive a certificate of completion (including a CTLE certificate), NYS educators must view the recording of the webinar (see link above) in its entirety and then answer at least seven out of ten questions correctly on the post assessment. If the minimum required score (7 out of 10) is achieved, the educator will receive a certificate via email within an hour. For the convenience of our World Language educators, there are multiple versions of the post assessment available, should the required score not be achieved on the first attempt. Educators may take each version of the post assessment once.
- Educators may take each version of the post assessment once. Credit will not be given for taking a single version of the post assessment more than once.
- Credit will not be given for more than one passing score on any of the post assessments for a webinar (listed below) in a single academic year.
- Educators may receive credit for viewing the webinar recording and passing a post assessment once in each academic year and are encouraged to take a different version of the post assessment on a yearly basis to review and test their knowledge of the webinar's content.
- It is the responsibility of the individual educator to keep track of the information on the professional learning they complete each year, including the number of CTLE hours.
- Questions about this webinar or the post assessments, should be directed to Candace Black at (518) 473-7505 or at firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).
# of attendees: 81
# of CTLE certificates issued: 58
# of certificates of attendance issued: 23
# of organizations represented by attendees: 35
64 participants from district schools
7 participants from charter schools
2 participants from non-public schools
5 participants from colleges or universities
2 participants from BOCES or RBERNs
1 participant from a government agency
Workshop presenter: Barbara Patterson taught Spanish for 31 years, mainly in Liverpool CSD, and holds a B.S. in Secondary Education Spanish, M.A. in Spanish and a C.A.S. degree. She is the committee chair of the NYSUT’s World Language Subject Area Committee, the Co-chair of the NYSAFLT’s Public Advocacy Committee and a Project Support Specialist of the NYS World Language Standards Initiative. Barbara served as NYSAFLT’s Assistant Director and LECNY’s Webmaster, Past President, President, and Vice President.