In New York State, the New York State Department of State (DOS) is responsible for publishing the building code, which is based on the International Code but does include state-specific elements. NYSED works with DOS when issues around the building code arise. Our colleagues at the DOS have reached out to remind us that schools and BOCES that offer construction courses and/or programs that include the construction of factory manufactured homes (modular) as a part of the curriculum are regulated by New York State 19 NYCRR Part 1209 and shall comply with the applicable provisions of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building (Residential) Code and also the Energy Conservation Construction Code of New York State. Current versions of the Code are dated 2020.
To be in compliance with the 19 NYCRR Part 1209, all schools with construction courses or programs that build modular homes shall take the following mandatory steps:
- Download and become familiar with 19 NYCRR Part 1209 regulations and fees for factory manufactured homes (modular).
- Access and become familiar with the 2020 Residential Code of New York State (Chapter 11 contains all Energy Code requirements).
- Contact a recognized third-party inspection agency (see attached 3rd Party Agency Directory) in the business of inspection of modular homes in New York State. The third-party agency will assist in setting up a program of quality assurance and regular inspection schedule for your program.
- Submit a completed application (see attached Application for Plan Approval Form DOS1280-f-a), full sealed construction plans, and specifications for review and approval to the following address:
NYS Department of State
Division of Building Standards and Codes Modular Unit
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave./Suite 1160
Albany, NY 12231-0001
- Arrange for an inspection schedule with your third-party inspection agency. This can be an in-person inspection or virtual inspection if determined to be feasible by both parties.
- Request a New York State Insignia of Approval from the Department of State -Building Standards and Codes upon satisfactory completion of the modular home and apply the insignia to modular home prior to shipment.
To request the NYS Insignia application or for additional information, please reach out to Donald Thomas at the Department of State via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.