THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Special Education Assistant, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Special Education Assistant position in the New York State School for the Blind. Under the direction of an Instructor, the incumbent of this position will perform duties that are instructional in nature and deliver direct care to students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide specialized instruction to individual or groups of students under the direction of a certified teacher;
- Gather and provide information about students to assist in the development of appropriate learning experiences;
- Assist students in the use of available instructional resources and assist in the development of instructional materials;
- Provide appropriate care, including hygiene needs for medically fragile students;
- Assist in instructional programs in arts, crafts, music, and related instruction as required; and
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
Candidates must have a High School diploma or a High School Equivalency diploma AND the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children AND a New York State Teaching Assistant certificate, or be eligible to obtain a New York State Teaching Assistant certificate within one (1) year of employment.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following:
- Experience working with severe to profoundly disabled and/or blind/sensory impaired children.
- Possession of, or willing to secure, and Article 19A (CDL) school bus driver certification.
This will be a permanent appointment, consisting of 183 days during the school year, 31 days during the summer, and an additional five days for program-related activities, for a total of 219 days. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigations and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to obtain a New York State Teaching Assistant certificate within one (1) year of employment. Continued employment as a Special Education Assistant is dependent upon maintaining appropriate certification. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, 6:45am–2:45pm or 7:00am–3:00pm, depending on classroom assignment.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $40,718 - $42,118 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (NYSSB - SEA) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.