Embedding Authentic Resources into Lesson Plans by Leslie Grahn
The Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages of the New York State Education Department presents the 2021 World Languages Professional Learning Series.
Original workshop date: January 20, 2021 - 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Workshop description: This workshop was presented by the New York State Association of World Language Administrators (NYSAWLA) and co-sponsored by the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL) of the New York State Education Department (NYSED). In Embedding Authentic Resources into Lesson Plans, participant will explore how to make authentic text work for teachers in the various phases of lesson planning. The presenter will lead attendees to:
- Consider how to embed authentic resources into phases of lesson plans;
- Analyze scenarios for embedding authentic resources into lesson plans; and
- Use a planning guide to build authentic resources into lesson plans.
Link to post-assessments
Those unable to attend the workshop on January 20th may earn CTLE credit by viewing the recording of the workshop (above) and then answering at least seven out of ten questions correctly on Post-Assessment #1 listed below. For the convenience of our World Language educators, there are multiple versions of the post-assessment available should the required score not be achieved on the first attempt. Participants must take one or more of these post-assessments in order, starting with Post-Assessment #1. If the desired score is not achieved, the participant may take subsequent post-assessments in order. It is NOT permissible to choose which version of the post-assessment to take. Credit will NOT be awarded to participants who take these assessments "out of order".
# of attendees: 559
# of CTLE certificates issued: 439
# of certificates of attendance issued: 87
# of organizations represented by attendees:
- 187 districts
- 384 schools
- 13 partner organizations
- 11 colleges & universities
# of languages taught by attendees: 15
Quotes from Participants of this Workshop
- "We walked out of this with so many resources and instructional tips! Mrs. Grahn presented at a good pace and was very kind with her audience. I can only imagine the work that went to collect and put all of these resources together, so thank you to Mrs. Grahn, of course." ~ Elba N.
- "Thank you for offering this excellent workshop. The presenter was fabulous, and the materials were relevant . This workshop propelled my enthusiasm and I started implementing some of the strategies and documents into my lesson plans." ~ Theresa F.
- "The workshop was great! Leslie has done a terrific job! I shared her webpage and Pinterest account with my colleagues. We all find the information and resources extremely useful." ~ Luz L.
- "Thank you for organizing yesterday's workshop. It has me on the hunt for more authentic documents!" ~Tina Marie B.