All New York State students have access to the local diploma, the Regents diploma, and the Regents diploma with advanced designation. Any diploma type requires the successful completion of the appropriate 22 units of credits. The difference between diploma types lies in the number of assessments the student passed and the required passing score(s). Reference the New York State Diploma Requirements Applicable to All Students Enrolled in Grades 9-12 or the Diploma/Credential Requirements for more information.
Assessment Requirements for a Regents or Local Diploma
In addition to successful completion of the appropriate 22 units of credits, in order to earn a Regents or local diploma, students must pass:
- 4 Regents exams or Department-Approved Alternatives, one in each discipline (English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies); and
- one pathway (see Multiple Pathways for more information).
Assessment Requirements for a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation
In addition to successful completion of the appropriate 22 units of credit, in order to earn a Regents diploma with advanced designation, students must pass two additional math assessments and one additional science assessment along with the required 4-5 assessments included in any of the pathways. This totals 7-8 Regents exams or Department-Approved Alternatives.
|2 additional credits in LOTE and the locally developed Checkpoint B LOTE Exam||5-unit sequence in the Arts||5-unit sequence in CTE|
Note: A LOTE exempt student who seeks a Regents diploma with advanced designation does NOT have to complete the 5-unit sequence in the Arts or CTE in lieu of LOTE in order to meet the assessment requirements for the advanced diploma.
Diploma and graduation resources include:
- New York State Diploma Requirements – credit and exam requirements, as well as additional information about pathways, appeals, special endorsements, LOTE exempt students, Superintendent Determination, and Social Studies credit requirements, updated July 2020
- Diploma/Credential Requirements Summary – includes information on the required units of credit and examinations for a Regents diploma, a Regents diploma with advanced designation, a local diploma, the CDOS Commencement Credential, and the Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential, updated July 2020
- Multiple Pathways – site includes assessment pathways to graduation for all students, links to additional information, a list of approved assessments, and the application process for vendors to submit assessments for consideration of Department approval
- Information Related to Graduation Requirements for Students with Disabilities
- Policies that Allow All Students to Participate in a High School Graduation Ceremony, May 2018
- Diploma Requirements Video Series – includes information on the credit and assessment requirements to earn a New York State Regents or local diploma, August 2017
- Diploma Requirements Archive
To order diplomas contact our Operations Unit at (518) 474-8220.