Advanced Placement Fee Waivers
New York State Funding for Eligible Students’ 2021 Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
For public and non-public school students qualifying for the College Board fee reduction of $33 per exam, the state of New York will pay an additional:
- $43 per AP Exam (except AP Seminar and AP Research Exams)
- $91 per AP Seminar Exam and AP Research Exam
The final fee for any AP Exam (including AP Seminar and AP Research Exams) for a qualifying student is $10.
Process for School Districts
Each school or district's AP coordinator will take the following steps:
Before the exams:
- Indicate each student's fee reduction status in AP Registration and Ordering. This replaces bubbling in students' fee reduction status on their answer sheets.
- For your invoice to accurately reflect any fee reductions, the AP coordinator must indicate the fee reduction status in the roster on the Students page for each student as follows:
- For each student who is eligible for a College Board fee reduction, check the box in the Reduced Fee column.
- For students who aren't eligible for a fee reduction, no action is needed.
- It's recommended that the AP coordinator indicate the fee reduction status for AP students taking exams before submitting their school's AP Exam order, so they know as early in the school year as possible the fees that need to be collected from AP students. However, if the AP coordinator needs more time to verify this information, the deadline to indicate students' fee reduction status in AP Registration and Ordering is April 30, 2021 (11:59 p.m. ET). After this date, you won’t be able to make any changes to fee reduction status in AP Registration and Ordering. If a change is needed to a student’s fee reduction status after this date, call AP Services for Educators.
- Fee reduction status is indicated only once per student, not for each exam. The AP coordinator must indicate the fee reduction status for each eligible student to ensure that the school is appropriately credited for available fee reductions. If the appropriate fee reduction status is not indicated for students, the school won't receive the appropriate credit for College Board fee reductions and may not be credited for or receive the full state funding available for eligible students.
After the exams:
- AP coordinators no longer need to generate the final invoice. The invoice is directly generated by AP Registration and Ordering and emailed to the AP coordinator after the late-testing administration ends. At that point, the AP coordinator can also access and print the invoice through AP Registration and Ordering.
- Send $10 to the AP Program for each AP Exam, including AP Seminar and AP Research Exams, taken by fee-reduced students.
- June 25, 2021 is the postmark deadline for payment due to College Board.
- College Board will bill the New York State Education Department (NYSED) directly for $43 per AP Exam (except AP Seminar and AP Research Exams) per fee-reduced student, and $91 per AP Seminar Exam and AP Research Exam per fee-reduced student.
- AP coordinators do not need to submit a copy of their invoice to NYSED.
Additional questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (518) 474-5922.
Resources for Students
The College Board will be offering a variety of testing options for the 2021 AP Exam Administration. Additional information can be referenced on the College Board’s AP 2020-2021 Updates webpage. Additional questions about testing options for the 2021 AP Exam Administration may be directed to the classroom teacher, the school’s AP Coordinator, or the College Board (Send a Message to the College Board).