THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Project Assistant, NS (PEF)
(Equated to SG-25)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Counsel is seeking candidates for a Project Assistant position. Under the supervision of an Assistant Counsel, the Project Assistant will assist with administration of the American Rescue Plan (ARP) program and Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds for NYSED. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and provide legal advice and counsel on issues related to federal and state grants;
- Review, negotiate and provide legal advice regarding a variety of written agreements on behalf of the Department, including data sharing agreements, software services agreements and interagency agreements;
- Perform research for and draft Commissioner’s decisions in pandemic related appeals brought pursuant to Education Law § 310;
- Assist program offices with completing standardized forms and by answering appropriate questions pertaining to local educational agencies’ use of stimulus funds, including for purposes of capital or construction projects;
- Represent the Department in administrative proceedings or assist the Office of the Attorney General in court proceedings challenging the Department’s actions, policies, or determinations in relation to the ARP program or pandemic response;
- Perform research on the ARP program or pandemic related legal issues as requested by the program offices or in response to inquiries from constituents, including Freedom of Information Law issues;
- Review and assist in the preparation of legislation and regulations, as needed;
- Complete special assignments as requested by the Counsel or management team; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must be admitted to the New York State Bar AND possess two years of subsequent professional legal experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Experience with State or federal grants;
- Experience or familiarity with Education Law; and
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree, Bar admission and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess and maintain admission to the New York State Bar. Failure to maintain an active registration to the New York State Bar will result in removal from employment.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $111,111 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (EXEC-91/51567) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.