THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (Transition Specialist), NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Instructor (Transition Specialist) position in the New York State School for the Blind (NYSSB). Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Understand the transition service requirements as related to students’ post-secondary goals and coordinated transition activities;
- Assist Department Heads with implementing and monitoring a school-wide plan to provide appropriate and effective transition services;
- Act as the transition contact person for administrators, teachers, parents, and community partners;
- Collaborate with secondary staff in the preparation of the IEP and transition services;
- Work collaboratively with agency representatives to provide information sessions for students and parents, conduct eligibility and application activities, and work to transition students from public school services and supports to adult services and supports;
- Conduct regular evaluations of transition services effectiveness and compliance;
- Organize and schedule student and job coach assignments and transportation to and from work-based learning experiences;
- Meet with employers/employees at non-paid, work-based learning sites prior to placing students to establish a meaningful learning format, assessment process, collaborative support system;
- Work with students, parents, and school staff on transportation and orientation and mobility related to nonpaid work-based learning and paid employment; and
- Perform other duties, as assigned, by the Department Head or Superintendent of Schools.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education AND the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- General knowledge of work-based learning
- Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI)
- Experience and training in the areas of orientation and mobility or Braille
This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts and New York State teaching certification in Special Education will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a New York State teaching certification in Special Education at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor is dependent upon maintaining a New York State teaching certification in Special Education. Failure to maintain a New York State teaching certification in Special Education will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position will be Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 3:00pm.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $73,058 - $93,156 through annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (BAT-406/00130) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.