THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
THE NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (Substitute), NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Instructor (Substitute) position at the New York State School for the Deaf. Duties of this position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide instruction to students in the absence of the Instructor;
- Supervise students in the classroom, cafeteria, and work study areas;
- Follow emergency plans provided by the Instructor; and
- Follow Individualized Education Plans for students.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- New York State Certification in Special Education or other New York State Certification;
- Ability to communicate through American Sign Language (ASL);
- Prior successful teaching experience; and
- Experience working with special needs students, particularly students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
This will be a temporary, on-call, hourly position. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates without a valid teaching certificate will be limited to 90 working days within a school year. Instructor (Substitutes) are notified by phone when services are needed, and every effort is made to give 24-hour advance notice.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (Instructor Substitute – Rome) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.