THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (Substitute), NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Instructor (Substitute) position at the New York State School for the Blind. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide instruction to students in the absence of the Instructor;
- Follow emergency plans provided by the Instructor;
- Follow Individualized Education Plans for students; and
- Complete necessary daily progress reports for students.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- NYS Certification in Special Education or other State Certification;
- Certification as a Teacher of the visually impaired, with evidence of specialized training in working with developmentally delayed, blind/sensory impaired children, and demonstrated ability to work as a member of an educational team; and
- Experience and training in the areas of behavior modification, orientation and mobility, sign language, and/or Braille.
This will be a temporary, on-call, hourly position. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates without a valid teaching certificate will be limited to 90 working days within a school year. Instructor (Substitutes) are notified by phone when services are needed, and every effort is made to give 24-hour advance notice.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis. Applicants will be contacted when a vacancy is available. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (Instructor Substitute - Batavia) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.