THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Facility Operations Assistant 1, Grade 6 (CSEA-Operational)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for a Facility Operations Assistant 1 position in the Office of Executive Professional Responsibility. The incumbent will perform various manual duties that require medium to heavy physical effort such as moving supplies, equipment, and furniture; maintaining facilities and grounds; and using a forklift, power tools, and hand trucks. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform office-related activities such as filing, alphabetizing, photocopying, sorting and delivering mail, storing records or supplies on shelves, bins and/or on the floor;
- Inspect office space to detect vandalism and/or non-adherence to safety procedures, and report defects, possible hazards or potentially dangerous conditions in the office space;
- Set up chairs, podiums and related equipment for conferences, seminars and special events, and assemble furniture and equipment;
- Assist trades positions in performing the routine and unskilled work such as carrying supplies and equipment, erecting ladders, and cleaning;
- Operate self-propelled equipment;
- Clean office space including vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, emptying trash receptacles (as needed), and dusting and polishing wood and metal fixtures;
- Perform a variety of routine building maintenance tasks such as unclogging toilets and sinks;
- Move heavy supplies, furniture, and equipment by physically lifting items or operating a hand truck or forklift;
- Move items to and from storerooms and/or warehouses, and assist with the maintenance of the file rooms; and
- Assist in the receiving and shipping of various office materials.
Candidates must be physically able to perform the duties assigned, including the ability to perform activities requiring medium to heavy lifting. Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license is required.
- Able to perform tasks requiring medium to heavy physical effort including lifting;
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and other staff;
- Ability to work both as a team member and independently as required by the assignment; and
- Additional skills in maintenance trades.
This will be a permanent position. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $41,018 through annual performance advances.
** In addition to the listed base salary, this position receives a $3,026 Annual Downstate Adjustment.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OPJobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OP-1525/21219) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.