THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking applicants for the position of Education Program Assistant 2 in the Office of Indigenous Education. The Office of Indigenous Education supports financial functions, with additional support provided to school districts serving Indigenous K-12 students on an as needed basis. Primarily, the Office reviews, and if appropriate, approves and pays school district tuition and transportation, supplemental funds, school bus purchases and the monitoring of the higher education tuition payments and budget. These include oversight of the Office of Indigenous Education tuition contracts, amendments, supplemental funds, transportation proposals, transportation vendor Invitation for Bids (IFB) and school bus purchases, registration, licensing, and bus surplus. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare renewal tuition contracts, yearly transportation proposals, contracts and budget amendments;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts on tuition, operations and maintenance, amendments, contracts, and payments;
- Develop letters for proposal information for school district transportation;
- Serve as program reviewer of all payment submissions;
- Conduct data charts for program evaluation of school district with graduation rates, state testing and school performance evaluations;
- Provide transportation vendors with policy and research recommendations;
- Respond to information requests from other NYSED offices and agencies;
- Manage review process from start to finish including, intake and tracking, managing the review staff, tracking calendar deadlines, drafting approval and/or denial letters and renewing of funding approvals;
- Communicate with vendors both during and after process; and
- Prepare and design materials for updating the program unit website.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Credentials Specialist 1. Candidates must also possess a Bachelor’s degree to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1 or Program Aide. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Program Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Program Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Occasional in-state travel will be required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $77,912 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-968/05204) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.