THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities position in the Office of Special Education (OSE). This Office works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities, oversees the implementation of federal and State laws and policies for students with disabilities, provides general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools in New York State serving preschool and school-age students with disabilities, and provides technical assistance to parents and school districts. Under the direction of the Supervisor in Education of Children with Disabilities, the incumbent of this position will serve in the Program Development and Support Services Unit, which is responsible for project management and oversight of special education grants and contracts. Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage projects related to the provision of technical assistance and professional development to improve outcomes for students with disabilities;
- Develop and score Requests for Proposals for the awarding of contracts and grants;
- Collaborate with other offices and units in OSE including Preschool, Policy and Special Education Quality Assurance on projects and activities;
- Review quarterly Status Reports, annual evaluation reports and fiscal vouchers/expenditure reports for assigned projects to ensure deliverables are being met and expenditures are accurate;
- Provide oversight and guidance to assigned contractors, such as Regional Partnership Centers, School-age and Early Childhood Family and Community Engagement Centers, and State Technical Assistance Partnerships for Equity, Data, Academics, Behavior and Transition;
- Participate in workgroups related to the State Performance Plan and Annual Performance Report or other inter-office or inter-agency workgroups as requested;
- Develop and facilitate technical assistance network meetings three times per year and conduct monthly conference calls/webinars for assigned projects, and
- Collaborate with other Department offices and State and local agencies to represent the needs of students with disabilities consistent with the key principles for improved practices in the “Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities”.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the Professional Educator Titles (Grade 22, 26, and 28), as indicated here: http://www.nysed.gov/hr/section-701-transfer-determinations-between-prof....
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title salary grade 24 or higher AND have standing on the Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities eligible list.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a Master’s degree or higher in special education, reading education, elementary or secondary education, psychology, school psychology, school counseling, guidance and counseling, communications disorders, or speech pathology; AND New York State permanent or professional certification as a teacher of special education; a teacher of the deaf and hearing impaired, blind or partially sighted; speech and hearing handicapped; as a school psychologist; or New York State licensure as a speech/language pathologist; AND four years of professional experience in special education service delivery, administration of special education programs for ages 3-21, evaluation for special education eligibility, teaching children with disabilities, or designing and/or developing special education programs. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require 25% statewide, overnight travel.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 18, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2260/63056) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.