Add A Board Member
Adding a Board of Trustee Member to an Existing Board of Regents-Authorized Charter School
For all Board of Regents (“Regents”)-authorized charter schools, prior to the appointment or election of any new member to the school’s Board of Trustees, the Board of Trustees must submit to the New York State Education Department (“NYSED”) for approval the name of the proposed member and all required background information about the proposed member. The following outlines the steps required to complete this process.
Please note: It is the responsibility of the Board of Trustees for all Regents-authorized charter schools to conduct a current criminal history record check via fingerprinting which is deemed acceptable by NYSED, review such results, and report such results to NYSED through the steps outline in the guidance memo. The Board of Trustees is also required to verify that any academic and/or professional credential or qualification presented by the proposed member is genuine. Do NOT submit/upload actual fingerprint clearances to the Charter School Office. (See fingerprint guidance for additional information.)
Please submit a formal letter using this template requesting NYSED approval of a prospective candidate, including a formal Board of Trustees resolution incorporating the specific voted language contained in the template. Upload the following documentation for each applicant/candidate the Board of Trustees seeks to add:
- A formal Board of Trustees resolution incorporating the specific voted language contained below.
Motion [#]: The [Name of Charter School] Board of Trustees, having conducted a thorough criminal history record check via fingerprinting which is deemed acceptable by NYSED, and having discovered no State or federal criminal history, or having provided information regarding such history to NYSED, if found, and having verified that any academic and/or professional credential or qualification presented by the proposed member is genuine, and having reviewed the application in its entirety, has voted to select [NAME OF PROPOSED BOARD MEMBER] as a member to its Board of Trustees, with a term expiring on [DATE], pending approval by NYSED. The resolution approving [NAME OF PROPOSED BOARD MEMBER] is adopted upon NYSED’s approval.
Alternatively, you may use this adaptable example of a Board of Trustees resolution.
- The finalized Board Meeting Minutes showing the Board Resolution incorporating the specific voted language contained in the template
- Background Information form for the proposed Board of Trustees member, including a signed Statement of Assurance, which is part of the form (e-signature is not acceptable)
- Signed disclosure of financial interest (e-signature is not acceptable)
- Resumé or curriculum vitae
- A copy of the proposed member’s diploma and an official transcript from his/her highest level of education (e.g. high school). If such documents cannot be provided, provide a notarized letter signed by the proposed member stating the highest level of education obtained and the reason why these documents cannot be provided, including a description of the good faith efforts made to obtain them
- By-laws showing:
- Number of Board of Trustee members (minimum/maximum)
- Types of representatives required if applicable (e.g., parent, community) or any other required qualifications
- Committee structure
- Board of Trustees roster, formatted in accordance with the Roster template.
A Charter School Office liaison will review the documentation within 45 business days of receiving all of the required documents. On behalf of NYSED, the Charter School Office liaison will, in writing, request additional information, reject or approve the proposed member.
Please submit the request and accompanying documentation at https://nysed-cso.smapply.io/prog/add_a_board_member