ITS Application Development unit is responsible for leading new application development initiatives and providing application support services to New York State Education Department (NYSED). Working with NYSED CIO and Executive Management, the Application Development unit aims to solve NYSED business problems, and deliver full range of application services, with an application portfolio of over 100 applications.
The intern will be responsible for creating various documents and artifacts for multiple IT application development projects the Department is undertaking, that will be used throughout the software development lifecycle for each project. This work will involve business systems analysis, meeting with various program area and ITS representatives, collecting project related information and business requirements from program areas and collecting technology requirements from Department IT staff. The intern will use these materials to prepare systems analysis and design artifacts, and project documentation. The intern will work closely with the Application Development Unit Director, and various Unit Leads to ensure that appropriate processes are followed. These responsibilities will require the intern to maintain the level of confidentiality required by New York State.
The intern will gain experience in the following:
- Exposure to real-world business requirements gathering and systems analysis experience that will help to build a foundation for multiple potential career paths
- Improving communication, interaction and leadership skills, by conducting meetings with various stakeholders and teams
- Exposure to government services provided by NYS Education Department
- Learning how Application Development Unit helps the State Education Department in solving business problems and providing complex application services
- Learning about large IT organization’s standards, processes and procedures
- Exposure to professional tools, methods, strategies, and best practices related to systems analysis and design
- Improve proficiency in analysis and design of multiple systems, and gaining experience in Information Technology field
- Planning, scheduling and prioritizing work to meet deadlines
- Improving analytical thinking and problem solving, as the Application Development Unit continues to meet complex business needs of NYSED stakeholders
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com Please include the Assignment Number (PIMS-22) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.