The New York State Education Department’s State Office of Religious and Independent Schools (SORIS) staff provides general information, support for the Board of Regents Education Corporation process and Commissioner’s Consent to alternate incorporations; registration of nonpublic high schools; oversight of the application process for entities seeking a Basic Educational Data System (BEDS) registration number; and Coordination of the Commissioner of Education's Advisory Council for Nonpublic Schools.
An intern who can provide 20 hours per week, in no less than 4 hour blocks is preferred.
Substantive work may include, but would not be limited to:
1. Assist in the development of Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) equitable services review;
2. Assist in the preparation and proofreading of materials and resources for religious and independent schools;
3. Assist in the development of SORIS policies and procedures;
4. Review of BEDS number applications;
5. Assist in the review of charter petitions and Commissioner’s Consent applications;
6. Assist in the preparation of responses to Freedom of Information Law requests;
7. Coordinate and participate in meetings and conferences;
8. Other daily tasks may include, but would not be limited to: copying, filing, preparing correspondence, responding to general nonpublic school inquiries.
Interns will receive an orientation regarding the functions of the Department’s State Office of Religious and Independent Schools. The selected intern will help to develop processes and procedures for ESSA equitable services. The selected intern(s) will also participate in a variety of team meetings. This internship would be beneficial to students pursuing a degree in education, public management, business, computer science and/or other related fields (inclusive of law students with similar interest).
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com(link sends e-mail) Please include the Assignment Number (P12-35) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.