Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages Spring Internship
Under the guidance of OBEWL, over 625 districts, charter schools and non-public schools implement educational programs and services for over 300,000 ELLs in New York State. These students come from over 200 language backgrounds. Through our website as well as stakeholder networks, we distribute current information on regulations, programs and funding for districts, as well as supports and instructional tools for students and parents.
Our interns help create professional development content and guidance to the field, conduct data analysis, produce reports for public release and internal use, and help enforce New York State regulations and others laws that protect immigrant students’ access to public education and the programmatic rights of English Language Learner students.
• Reviewing corrective action plans and corresponding documents for civil rights and regulatory
• Attending compliance meetings with district administrators and general counsels;
• Conducting policy research and helping shape guidance documents; and
• Attending training and professional development workshops;
• Contributing to events, including meetings and conferences;
• Joining OBEWL staff in school/district visits and conference calls; summarizing findings and items discussed;
• Reviewing compliance documents and becoming familiar with Commissioner's Regulations Part 154;
• Supporting OBEWL staff with specific office projects and general duties including but not limited to, research, data analysis, writing memos, maintaining files and organizing documents;
• Working on special projects as assigned;
• Performing a review and analysis of special projects and keeping supervisor properly informed;
Pay Rate Dependent on Candidate: Undergraduate Intern $12.50, Graduate Intern $15
The intern will have the opportunity to attend all professional development opportunities hosted by OBEWL and the Regional Bilingual Education Resource Networks (RBERNs) during the internship
Student obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree, seeking a major related to education with the following skills:
Ability to multi-task;
Strong writing skills;
Effective communication skills;
Has a positive attitude and eagerness to learn;
Likes to collaborate;
Can conduct research and analysis;
Has technology proficiency;
Open to guidance.
Up to 20 hours
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com(link sends e-mail) Please include the Assignment Number (P12-SP22-3P) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.