The New York State Archives (NYSA) provides advisory and technical services to New York State agencies regarding records management and preservation. We work with agencies to ensure New York’s historically valuable records are appraised and scheduled for eventual transfer to the Archives, which manages ongoing preservation and access to the essential evidence of state government and the impact agencies have on the people of New York State.
We seek a student intern to perform various duties to assist with the delivery of records management advisory and technical services to State agencies. The incumbent will be responsible for providing assistance in the appraisal, scheduling, and transfer of records that have enduring historical and research value.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inventory audiovisual, photographic, architectual, and textual records
- Conduct research on agency functions, use and context of specific records series, and how potential accesions complement existing archival holdings
- Assist with transfer and accessioning of archival records into the custody of the State Archives.
- Assist with the design and development of new services and means of promoting those services including through social media.
The intern will:
- Become familiar with archives and records management methods and procedures
- Increase understanding of arrangement and description practices for State government records
- Understand how professional standards are employed by the NYSA
- Gain experience with appraisal of records with enduring historical and research value
- Gain experience working independently and hone time management skills
- Participate in the transfer of records to the State Archives, including possible off site survey and assessment
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com (link sends e-mail). Please include the Assignment Number (OCE-74) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.