The New York State Archives preserves and makes accessible New York’s historically valuable records. The Archives is responsible for the provision of access to over 250 million documents dating from the Dutch colonial period to the modern day. The Archives' Reference services unit office serves researchers through an on-site research room as well as online and e-mail reference services, serving nearly 30,000 reference inquiries each year.
We seek a student assistant who will perform reference services for military records searches, correctional services, motion picture film scripts and several other specialized reference tasks. The student will work in the reference office and will work directly with records to fulfill on-line and e-mail reference requests, thus learning the types of inquiries received in an institution, and how to address them.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Assist with responding to reference inquiries under the direction of an archivist
• Staff the registration desk in our Research Room, which is shared with the Manuscripts and Special Collections of the State Library
• Assist with records moves as needed
• Participate in collections management activities such as re-housing
• Assist with cataloguing work to enhance our online Finding Aids
• Perform other activities as assigned
The intern will:
• Gain direct, practical experience in archival administration
• Increase understanding of arrangement and description practices
• Develop awareness of archival security practices including Reseach Room policies and procedures
• Understand and employ professional standards
• Gain experience with setting up/running meetings and planning/hosting archives-related events
• Gain experience working independently and hone time management skills
• Learn about outreach activities including preparing publications targeting various State Archives constituencies
• Participate in a transfer of records to the State Archives
• Attend workshops and webinars on a wide range of professional archival practices
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com (link sends e-mail). Please include the Assignment Number (OCE-68) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.