The New York State Archives (NYSA) Archival Services bureau ensures the preservation, accessibility, and use of New York’s historically valuable records. We accomplish this by managing the State Archives facility, which houses the archival records of state government and by providing technical services and grants to historical records programs throughout New York.
We seek a student intern to perform various duties to support the daily operations of Archival Services. The incumbent will be responsible for providing assistance to the access services, reference and collections management units. The incumbent will contribute to archival management projects including accessioning and describing records, rehousing records, consultation trips to the Records Center, and routine data entry.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Assist with transfer and accessioning archival records into the custody of the State Archives
• Assist with the rehousing of archival records and creation of finding aids
• Create access tools of records such as box/container lists using EAD
• Prepare records to be digitized and assist in the digitization process
• Staff the registration desk in our Research Room, which is shared with the Manuscripts and Special Collections of the State Library
• Perform research and outreach related to programs, exhibits and events sponsored by the State Archives
• Assist Archives staff with exhibit tables at events and conferences
• Perform other activities as assigned.
The intern will:
• Have direct experience with the administration of archival records
• Increase understanding of arrangement and description practices for records
• Gain experience in archival descriptive and cataloguing practices
• Develop awareness of archival security practices
• Understand and gain experience applying professional standards
• Gain experience with setting up/running meetings and planning/hosting archives-related events
• Gain experience working independently and hone time management skills
• Learn about outreach activities including preparing publications targeting various State Archives constituencies
• Participate in a transfer of records to the State Archives, including off site survey and assessment
• Attend workshops and webinars on a wide range of professional archival practices
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail). Please include the Assignment Number (OCE-65) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.