The New York State Archives (NYSA) provides records management and archival assistance and oversight to New York State agencies. NYSA works with these agencies to ensure New York’s historically valuable records, in both paper and electronic formats, are appraised and scheduled for eventual transfer to the Archives, or scheduled for routine disposal of non-permanent records. This is the core records management function for New York State government and is essential for ensuring accountability, transparency and preservation of the historical record.
Jennifer O'Neill and Dennis Riley
The Student Assistant will work with a professional archivist to conduct appraisal, scheduling, and transfer of records that have enduring historical and research value and will assist archivists in developing and delivering records management assistance to State agencies. A focus of the Student Assistant's work will be tol work closely with the New York State Canal Corporation to inventory and develop retention schedules for its records
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Inventory audiovisual, photographic, architectual, electronic and textual records
• Conduct research on agency functions, use and context of specific records series, and how potential accessions complement existing archival holdings
• Assist with transfer and accessioning of archival records into the custody of the State Archives
• Assist in the development of records management resources advice and programs for agencies using including publications presentations and audio/visual materials.
The intern will:
• Develop strong skills in records inventory, records management and archival arrangement
• Gain practical experience in applying professional standards in an archval setting
• Gain experience with appraisal of records with enduring historical and research value
• Participate in a transfer of records to the State Archives, including off site survey and assessment
• Gain experience working independently and hone time management skills
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail). Please include the Assignment Number (OCE-58) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.